Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With the transfers of Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell combined with the fact that Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr. won’t be eligible to play this season, incoming freshman center Trayvon Reed had the opportunity to earn some playing time at Maryland. However the 7-foot-1 Reed is no longer in the program’s plans following his arrest on charges of second-degree assault (two counts), theft under $100 and resisting arrest Wednesday night according to the Baltimore Sun.
“Trayvon failed to meet the standards that are required by the University of Maryland athletics department,” Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said in a statement.
In the same statement sent by the athletic department, Reed said: “I regret that I was unable to meet the responsibilities that were expected of me from Coach Turgeon and the University of Maryland.”
Reed’s arrest and subsequent dismissal drops Maryland’s talented freshman class down to four members, with center Michal Cekovsky being the lone big man in that group. Romelo Trimble is expected to be the team’s starting point guard, with classmates Jared Nickens and Dion Wiley both factoring into the perimeter rotation as well.
Maryland also adds graduate transfer Richaud Pack from North Carolina A&T, and he averaged 17.0 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season. Inside the Terrapins do return Damontre Dodd, Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz (not counting wings Dez Wells and Jake Layman), but having Reed in the fold would have given them another interior body in their first season in the Big Ten.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)