Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With the transfers of Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell combined with the fact that Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr. won’t be eligible to play this season, incoming freshman center Trayvon Reed had the opportunity to earn some playing time at Maryland. However the 7-foot-1 Reed is no longer in the program’s plans following his arrest on charges of second-degree assault (two counts), theft under $100 and resisting arrest Wednesday night according to the Baltimore Sun.
“Trayvon failed to meet the standards that are required by the University of Maryland athletics department,” Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said in a statement.
In the same statement sent by the athletic department, Reed said: “I regret that I was unable to meet the responsibilities that were expected of me from Coach Turgeon and the University of Maryland.”
Reed’s arrest and subsequent dismissal drops Maryland’s talented freshman class down to four members, with center Michal Cekovsky being the lone big man in that group. Romelo Trimble is expected to be the team’s starting point guard, with classmates Jared Nickens and Dion Wiley both factoring into the perimeter rotation as well.
Maryland also adds graduate transfer Richaud Pack from North Carolina A&T, and he averaged 17.0 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season. Inside the Terrapins do return Damontre Dodd, Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz (not counting wings Dez Wells and Jake Layman), but having Reed in the fold would have given them another interior body in their first season in the Big Ten.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)
- Wake Forest dismissed senior point guard for rules violation (1)
- Is Louisville’s non-conference schedule weak by design? (1)
- 10 year old Ohio State fan worried heart surgery would make him love Michigan (1)