Aug 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
With the transfers of Shaquille Cleare and Charles Mitchell combined with the fact that Georgia Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr. won’t be eligible to play this season, incoming freshman center Trayvon Reed had the opportunity to earn some playing time at Maryland. However the 7-foot-1 Reed is no longer in the program’s plans following his arrest on charges of second-degree assault (two counts), theft under $100 and resisting arrest Wednesday night according to the Baltimore Sun.
“Trayvon failed to meet the standards that are required by the University of Maryland athletics department,” Maryland head coach Mark Turgeon said in a statement.
In the same statement sent by the athletic department, Reed said: “I regret that I was unable to meet the responsibilities that were expected of me from Coach Turgeon and the University of Maryland.”
Reed’s arrest and subsequent dismissal drops Maryland’s talented freshman class down to four members, with center Michal Cekovsky being the lone big man in that group. Romelo Trimble is expected to be the team’s starting point guard, with classmates Jared Nickens and Dion Wiley both factoring into the perimeter rotation as well.
Maryland also adds graduate transfer Richaud Pack from North Carolina A&T, and he averaged 17.0 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season. Inside the Terrapins do return Damontre Dodd, Jon Graham and Evan Smotrycz (not counting wings Dez Wells and Jake Layman), but having Reed in the fold would have given them another interior body in their first season in the Big Ten.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 32
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (33)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)