Aug 1, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
With the loss of four key seniors from their backcourt of a season ago, the Memphis Tigers have some questions to answer on the perimeter this summer. Fortunately for head coach Josh Pastner the program has a summer trip to Canada to help with the on-court chemistry of a group that doesn’t have a lot of experience at the Division I level.
One player who entered the summer hoping to compete for more minutes was rising junior shooting guard Damien Wilson, who played just under six minutes per game in his first two seasons as a Tiger. However on Friday it was announced by the school that Wilson has decided to transfer.
“Damien is in good academic standing at the University, but he shared with me that he’d like a fresh start,” Pastner said in the release. “We support Damien and wish him all the best.”
In two seasons at Memphis the Atlanta native played in 41 games, with 15 of those coming in his sophomore year. Last season Wilson played 19 minutes in the Tigers’ season-opening win over Austin Peay and 20 in a loss at Oklahoma State, a game in which he scored eight points. But he would play in just 13 games the remainder of the season, reaching double digits in minutes just once.
While Memphis may not have a lot of experience on the perimeter they don’t lack for bodies, with three junior college transfers and freshmen Pookie Powell (redshirted last season) and Dominic Magee joining returnees Markel Crawford (missed all of last season), Kuran Iverson and Nick King. That may have impacted Wilson’s thought process with regards to how much of an increase in minutes he could expect to see in 2014-15.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)