Aug 2, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
There’s a new transfer on the market, as Southern’s Calvin Godfrey has left the program, sources confirmed to NBCSports. According to ESPN.com, Godfrey has received his release. He will be able to play immediately pending a graduate transfer waiver from the NCAA.
Godfrey is a talent, a 6-foot-8, 230 pound forward that averaged 13.1 points and 8.8 boards as a junior with the Jaguars, including an 18-point, 9-rebound performance at Florida last season. That came three years after his last season at the Division I level, when he averaged 5.7 points and 5.4 boards for Iowa State back in 2010-2011.
In between, Godfrey had a bit of a wild ride, one that highlights the red flags that come up bringing him into a program. He was suspended midseason for multiple violations of team rules at Iowa State before eventually being kicked out of the program after he was arrested for marijuana possession. He spent the 2011-2012 season at Howard College and had plans to enroll at LSU for the 2012-2013 season, but he was not accepted into the school due to an issue with his academics. He ended up signing with Southern that November and sitting out the 2012-2013 season, but he never fully bought into the program.
He has one year remaining and has to use it in 2014-2015 and will be looking to spend it playing at a higher level.
- Kyle Wiltjer to return to Gonzaga for his senior season 0
- Utah’s Jakob Poeltl will return to school for his sophomore season 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)