Aug 2, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
There’s a new transfer on the market, as Southern’s Calvin Godfrey has left the program, sources confirmed to NBCSports. According to ESPN.com, Godfrey has received his release. He will be able to play immediately pending a graduate transfer waiver from the NCAA.
Godfrey is a talent, a 6-foot-8, 230 pound forward that averaged 13.1 points and 8.8 boards as a junior with the Jaguars, including an 18-point, 9-rebound performance at Florida last season. That came three years after his last season at the Division I level, when he averaged 5.7 points and 5.4 boards for Iowa State back in 2010-2011.
In between, Godfrey had a bit of a wild ride, one that highlights the red flags that come up bringing him into a program. He was suspended midseason for multiple violations of team rules at Iowa State before eventually being kicked out of the program after he was arrested for marijuana possession. He spent the 2011-2012 season at Howard College and had plans to enroll at LSU for the 2012-2013 season, but he was not accepted into the school due to an issue with his academics. He ended up signing with Southern that November and sitting out the 2012-2013 season, but he never fully bought into the program.
He has one year remaining and has to use it in 2014-2015 and will be looking to spend it playing at a higher level.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)