Aug 2, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
There’s a new transfer on the market, as Southern’s Calvin Godfrey has left the program, sources confirmed to NBCSports. According to ESPN.com, Godfrey has received his release. He will be able to play immediately pending a graduate transfer waiver from the NCAA.
Godfrey is a talent, a 6-foot-8, 230 pound forward that averaged 13.1 points and 8.8 boards as a junior with the Jaguars, including an 18-point, 9-rebound performance at Florida last season. That came three years after his last season at the Division I level, when he averaged 5.7 points and 5.4 boards for Iowa State back in 2010-2011.
In between, Godfrey had a bit of a wild ride, one that highlights the red flags that come up bringing him into a program. He was suspended midseason for multiple violations of team rules at Iowa State before eventually being kicked out of the program after he was arrested for marijuana possession. He spent the 2011-2012 season at Howard College and had plans to enroll at LSU for the 2012-2013 season, but he was not accepted into the school due to an issue with his academics. He ended up signing with Southern that November and sitting out the 2012-2013 season, but he never fully bought into the program.
He has one year remaining and has to use it in 2014-2015 and will be looking to spend it playing at a higher level.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)