Aug 2, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Trayvon Reed, one of the stars of Maryland’s 2014 recruiting class, was arrested on Wednesday of this week. On Friday, the school announced that the 7-foot-1 center would not be allowed to join the program.
And it all could have been avoided if Reed had decided that he wanted to spend $5.59 on snacks at a 7-Eleven.
Here’s how it went down, according to court documents obtained by the Baltimore Sun: two undercover officers were in a 7-Eleven next to the Maryland campus. Reed came in and was seen by an officer putting a Twix ice cream bar into his pocket. The officer followed Reed and an unidentified male friend into the parking lot and tried to arrest him, at which point Reed resisted, fighting the officer with his hands and breaking two of the officer’s fingers.
Both of the cops were needed in order to subdue Reed.
In addition to the Twix ice cream bar, Reed also had four-pack of Reese’s peanut butter cups and a two-pack of King Size Reese’s peanut butter cups.
What’s that all mean?
Reed has lost his scholarship to Maryland and has been charged with second-degree assault, second degree assault of a police officer, theft under $100 and resisting arrest all because he didn’t want to pay for $5.59 worth of candy and fought a cop when he was caught shoplifting it. According to the Sun, the assault charges both carry maximum sentences of 10-years in prison, while the resisting arrest charge could net him three years.
This is just the latest in a long line of frustrating, sometimes head-scratching issues for Maryland this offseason. Five players — Seth Allen, Nick Faust, Roddy Peters, Shaq Cleare and Charles Mitchell — already transferred out of the program this season.
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 0
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 3
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 4
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)