Aug 2, 2014, 4:08 PM EST
Trayvon Reed, one of the stars of Maryland’s 2014 recruiting class, was arrested on Wednesday of this week. On Friday, the school announced that the 7-foot-1 center would not be allowed to join the program.
And it all could have been avoided if Reed had decided that he wanted to spend $5.59 on snacks at a 7-Eleven.
Here’s how it went down, according to court documents obtained by the Baltimore Sun: two undercover officers were in a 7-Eleven next to the Maryland campus. Reed came in and was seen by an officer putting a Twix ice cream bar into his pocket. The officer followed Reed and an unidentified male friend into the parking lot and tried to arrest him, at which point Reed resisted, fighting the officer with his hands and breaking two of the officer’s fingers.
Both of the cops were needed in order to subdue Reed.
In addition to the Twix ice cream bar, Reed also had four-pack of Reese’s peanut butter cups and a two-pack of King Size Reese’s peanut butter cups.
What’s that all mean?
Reed has lost his scholarship to Maryland and has been charged with second-degree assault, second degree assault of a police officer, theft under $100 and resisting arrest all because he didn’t want to pay for $5.59 worth of candy and fought a cop when he was caught shoplifting it. According to the Sun, the assault charges both carry maximum sentences of 10-years in prison, while the resisting arrest charge could net him three years.
This is just the latest in a long line of frustrating, sometimes head-scratching issues for Maryland this offseason. Five players — Seth Allen, Nick Faust, Roddy Peters, Shaq Cleare and Charles Mitchell — already transferred out of the program this season.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 4
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 17
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 4
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)