Aug 2, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
The 2019 recruiting class for N.C. State’s women’s team is off to a good start, as the Wolfpack reportedly accepted a commitment from Jada Peebles on Friday.
That’s not a typo either.
Peebles is getting ready to start the eighth grade. She’s 13 years old, and despite the fact that she has a full five years to go until she’s able to go to college, she’s already decided on her destination.
To put that into perspective, think about it like this: Wes Moore, the current N.C. State head coach, was hired prior to the 2013-2014 season. He led them to a 25-8 record and a fourth-place finish in the ACC. There’s no guarantee that he’ll still be at N.C. State five years from now. And Peebles herself is only 13, which means that the five years she’ll have to remain a Wolfpack commit is equivalent to 38.5% of the time that she’s actually been alive.
On the surface, this is worrisome.
But there are a couple of details that help clarify what is going on here. Peebles’ father is Danny Peebles, who played football and ran track for the Wolfpack and was recently inducted into the school’s hall of fame. Her mother also attended N.C. State. She’s a Wolfpack fan and lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, where N.C. State is located. And it’s also worth noting that Jada’s favorite player is Skylar Diggins, the former Notre Dame star that committed to the Fighting Irish when she was in eighth grade.
In other words, this is not a typical recruitment.
“It was a little hard to process and a little surreal,” Danny Peebles told ABC-11, “but they let us know that it was really real, and they were really interested in her coming over.”
Accepting a commitment from a player that young is never ideal, but if a prospect like Jada Peebles, particularly one that lives in the same town and has a pair of Wolfpack grads for parents, says that she wants to go to N.C. State, what is the coaching staff supposed to say other than, ‘Welcome aboard’?
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 18
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (19)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)