Aug 2, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
The 2019 recruiting class for N.C. State’s women’s team is off to a good start, as the Wolfpack reportedly accepted a commitment from Jada Peebles on Friday.
That’s not a typo either.
Peebles is getting ready to start the eighth grade. She’s 13 years old, and despite the fact that she has a full five years to go until she’s able to go to college, she’s already decided on her destination.
To put that into perspective, think about it like this: Wes Moore, the current N.C. State head coach, was hired prior to the 2013-2014 season. He led them to a 25-8 record and a fourth-place finish in the ACC. There’s no guarantee that he’ll still be at N.C. State five years from now. And Peebles herself is only 13, which means that the five years she’ll have to remain a Wolfpack commit is equivalent to 38.5% of the time that she’s actually been alive.
On the surface, this is worrisome.
But there are a couple of details that help clarify what is going on here. Peebles’ father is Danny Peebles, who played football and ran track for the Wolfpack and was recently inducted into the school’s hall of fame. Her mother also attended N.C. State. She’s a Wolfpack fan and lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, where N.C. State is located. And it’s also worth noting that Jada’s favorite player is Skylar Diggins, the former Notre Dame star that committed to the Fighting Irish when she was in eighth grade.
In other words, this is not a typical recruitment.
“It was a little hard to process and a little surreal,” Danny Peebles told ABC-11, “but they let us know that it was really real, and they were really interested in her coming over.”
Accepting a commitment from a player that young is never ideal, but if a prospect like Jada Peebles, particularly one that lives in the same town and has a pair of Wolfpack grads for parents, says that she wants to go to N.C. State, what is the coaching staff supposed to say other than, ‘Welcome aboard’?
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)