Aug 2, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
The 2019 recruiting class for N.C. State’s women’s team is off to a good start, as the Wolfpack reportedly accepted a commitment from Jada Peebles on Friday.
That’s not a typo either.
Peebles is getting ready to start the eighth grade. She’s 13 years old, and despite the fact that she has a full five years to go until she’s able to go to college, she’s already decided on her destination.
To put that into perspective, think about it like this: Wes Moore, the current N.C. State head coach, was hired prior to the 2013-2014 season. He led them to a 25-8 record and a fourth-place finish in the ACC. There’s no guarantee that he’ll still be at N.C. State five years from now. And Peebles herself is only 13, which means that the five years she’ll have to remain a Wolfpack commit is equivalent to 38.5% of the time that she’s actually been alive.
On the surface, this is worrisome.
But there are a couple of details that help clarify what is going on here. Peebles’ father is Danny Peebles, who played football and ran track for the Wolfpack and was recently inducted into the school’s hall of fame. Her mother also attended N.C. State. She’s a Wolfpack fan and lives in Raleigh, North Carolina, where N.C. State is located. And it’s also worth noting that Jada’s favorite player is Skylar Diggins, the former Notre Dame star that committed to the Fighting Irish when she was in eighth grade.
In other words, this is not a typical recruitment.
“It was a little hard to process and a little surreal,” Danny Peebles told ABC-11, “but they let us know that it was really real, and they were really interested in her coming over.”
Accepting a commitment from a player that young is never ideal, but if a prospect like Jada Peebles, particularly one that lives in the same town and has a pair of Wolfpack grads for parents, says that she wants to go to N.C. State, what is the coaching staff supposed to say other than, ‘Welcome aboard’?
- New Year’s Resolutions: Illinois Fighting Illini 0
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (3)