Aug 2, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
With Anthony Gill and Mike Tobey in line to be seniors in 2015-16, Virginia head coach Tony Bennett and his staff needed to add some depth to the power forward position. On Saturday the Cavaliers received a verbal commitment from one of the best passing big men in the Class of 2015, which certainly helps the reigning ACC champions when it comes to addressing the power forward position.
6-foot-8 forward Jarred Reuter, who attends Brewster Academy, decided to commit to Virginia while visiting the school this weekend. News of Reuter’s commitment was first announced by Brewster Academy head coach Jason Smith, with Reuter tweeting the news himself shortly thereafter. The other schools considered by Reuter were Iowa, Providence, Rhode Island and South Carolina.
Reuter played on a loaded Brewster Academy squad that finished the 2013-14 season with a 33-2 record, and among his teammates were forwards Isaac Copeland (freshman at Georgetown) and Jonah Bolden (freshman at UCLA) and guards Devonte’ Graham (freshman at Kansas) and Donovan Mitchell (a member of the 2015 class who put together an outstanding spring/summer).
As mentioned above about Virginia, the front court is where Bennett and his staff will need to add bodies in the next two recruiting classes. Darion Atkins will be a senior this coming season with Gill, Tobey and small forward Evan Nolte reaching that point the following year. That leaves Jack Salt, Marial Shayok and Isaiah Wilkins (all are freshmen this season) as the only front court players with eligibility remaining following the 2015-16 season.
Adding Reuter, who as noted above has been lauded for his passing ability out of the post, to the fold helps Virginia in the depth department but this is an area where the staff will undoubtedly look to add more bodies as the recruiting cycle rolls on.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)