Aug 2, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
With Adreian Payne out of eligibility, Michigan State was in need of front court players capable of stepping forward in 2014-15. One possible option was Kenny Kaminski, who scored 4.9 points in just over 12 minutes of action per game. A “stretch four,” the 6-foot-8 Kaminski shot 51 percent from the field and 49.4% from beyond the arc in 2013-14.
What Kaminski would be able to do under Tom Izzo with more playing time won’t be learned however, as the rising redshirt sophomore announced via his Twitter account Saturday afternoon that he’s no longer a member of the Michigan State program.
On two separate occasions last season, Kaminski was suspended by Izzo for “failing to take care of business” academically, with the second suspension being levied on December 14. Kaminski missed a total of six games last season for disciplinary reasons.
With Kaminski no longer in the picture, senior Branden Dawson and junior Matt Costello are Michigan State’s most experienced front court players. The Spartans add Marvin Clark, a 6-foot-7 forward who will now (in theory) have more opportunities to step forward and earn immediate playing time. With the top three scorers from a team that won the Big Ten tournament title and reached the Elite Eight having moved on (guards Keith Appling and Gary Harris being the others), Dawson (11.2 ppg, 8.3 rpg) and guards Denzel Valentine and Travis Trice are Michigan State’s top three returnees in 2014-15.
The question of who steps forward to help those three is a key one for Michigan State going into 2014-15. Kaminski was one of the possible options, but thanks to his depature the Spartans will need to find additional depth elsewhere.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)