Aug 3, 2014, 8:16 PM EST
Having already received verbal commitments from guard James Bolden and center Levi Cook in the Class of 2015, West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins landed his first verbal commitment in the Class of 2016 on Sunday. 6-foot-3 guard Chase Harler, who attends Wheeling Central High School, announced his decision to join his home state’s flagship program via Twitter.
Last season Harler posted averages of 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists per game on a team that won the West Virginia Class A state title. And in a story written by Dave Ackerman of Blue Gold Sports, Harler stated that once Huggins made the offer he was eager to accept.
As he and his parents met with Coach Huggins in his office today, about 12:30 PM, Huggins told him his entire staff was “all-in” on him and made the offer, also stating that when he is ready to commit, they are ready and willing to accept his commitment. Harler stated that “I committed almost immediately as it was my dream come true to become a Mountaineer.”
When the 2016-17 season rolls around, among the players Harler will be competing for playing time with (provided there are no early departures) are freshmen Daxter Miles and Jevon Carter. Both are in line to be juniors when that season begins.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)