Aug 3, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
Having already received verbal commitments from guard James Bolden and center Levi Cook in the Class of 2015, West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins landed his first verbal commitment in the Class of 2016 on Sunday. 6-foot-3 guard Chase Harler, who attends Wheeling Central High School, announced his decision to join his home state’s flagship program via Twitter.
Last season Harler posted averages of 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists per game on a team that won the West Virginia Class A state title. And in a story written by Dave Ackerman of Blue Gold Sports, Harler stated that once Huggins made the offer he was eager to accept.
As he and his parents met with Coach Huggins in his office today, about 12:30 PM, Huggins told him his entire staff was “all-in” on him and made the offer, also stating that when he is ready to commit, they are ready and willing to accept his commitment. Harler stated that “I committed almost immediately as it was my dream come true to become a Mountaineer.”
When the 2016-17 season rolls around, among the players Harler will be competing for playing time with (provided there are no early departures) are freshmen Daxter Miles and Jevon Carter. Both are in line to be juniors when that season begins.
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)