Aug 3, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT
Only three days into August, and Phil Martelli has added two players to his Class of 2015.
On Sunday, Saint Joseph’s Prep shooting guard Chris Clover became the second Philadelphia product in as many days to commit to St. Joe’s. LaMarr Kimble, a three-star point guard from Neumann-Goretti High, pledged to the Hawks. Matt Gifford of HawkHillHardwood.com first reported the news.
“I think it’s a good fit for him,” Kamal Yard, the director of Philly Pride, told Josh Verlin of CityofBasketballLove.com. “I think Saint Joseph’s has recruited him pretty hard as well as all of the other Big 5 schools. I think he just felt a connection to St. Joe’s more than the other schools.”
The 6-foot-4 Clover spent the summer playing on the Under Armour Association circuit. He led Philly Pride into the Under Armour Finals during the second week of the July live period. He averaged 15.0 points in five games, shooting at at 59 percent clip from the field and 47 percent from behind the arc. Despite dropping the first two contests to The City from New York and the New England Playaz, Clover had his biggest scoring numbers with 19 and 25, respectively.
Saint Joseph’s won the Atlantic 10 Tournament title this past March, and despite losing three of its top three scorers, the Hawks have young talent in incoming freshman guard Shavar Newkirk and A10 Co-Rookie of the Year DeAndre Bembry.
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 0
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 1
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 3
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 20
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 9
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 8
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (85)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)