Aug 3, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Only three days into August, and Phil Martelli has added two players to his Class of 2015.
On Sunday, Saint Joseph’s Prep shooting guard Chris Clover became the second Philadelphia product in as many days to commit to St. Joe’s. LaMarr Kimble, a three-star point guard from Neumann-Goretti High, pledged to the Hawks. Matt Gifford of HawkHillHardwood.com first reported the news.
“I think it’s a good fit for him,” Kamal Yard, the director of Philly Pride, told Josh Verlin of CityofBasketballLove.com. “I think Saint Joseph’s has recruited him pretty hard as well as all of the other Big 5 schools. I think he just felt a connection to St. Joe’s more than the other schools.”
The 6-foot-4 Clover spent the summer playing on the Under Armour Association circuit. He led Philly Pride into the Under Armour Finals during the second week of the July live period. He averaged 15.0 points in five games, shooting at at 59 percent clip from the field and 47 percent from behind the arc. Despite dropping the first two contests to The City from New York and the New England Playaz, Clover had his biggest scoring numbers with 19 and 25, respectively.
Saint Joseph’s won the Atlantic 10 Tournament title this past March, and despite losing three of its top three scorers, the Hawks have young talent in incoming freshman guard Shavar Newkirk and A10 Co-Rookie of the Year DeAndre Bembry.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)