Aug 4, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
After a 10-year hiatus, Gonzaga and Washington will renew their in-state rivalry beginning again in 2016-17, according to a joint release from the schools.
The four-year home-and-home series doesn’t have a starting point as to who will host the first game, but it’s a step in the right direction for one of college basketball’s dormant non-conference rivalries.
“We always knew we would resume the series,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said in the release. “But our schedules have been full the last few years. We have an opportunity in 2016-17 and both teams were agreeable to playing.”
Gonzaga won the last time the two teams played in 2006 with a home victory and Washington won at home the season before to snap a seven-game losing streak in the series.
“The fans have shown that they really appreciate the game with Washington and Gonzaga. I mean, every one of them since we’ve been here has been a sellout, or close to it,” Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar said in the release. “There’s a lot of enthusiasm and hype centered around the game.”
Gonzaga and Washington have met 43 times, with the first game coming in 1910. This will be good for college basketball to have these two teams playing again on a yearly basis.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)