Aug 4, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
After a 10-year hiatus, Gonzaga and Washington will renew their in-state rivalry beginning again in 2016-17, according to a joint release from the schools.
The four-year home-and-home series doesn’t have a starting point as to who will host the first game, but it’s a step in the right direction for one of college basketball’s dormant non-conference rivalries.
“We always knew we would resume the series,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said in the release. “But our schedules have been full the last few years. We have an opportunity in 2016-17 and both teams were agreeable to playing.”
Gonzaga won the last time the two teams played in 2006 with a home victory and Washington won at home the season before to snap a seven-game losing streak in the series.
“The fans have shown that they really appreciate the game with Washington and Gonzaga. I mean, every one of them since we’ve been here has been a sellout, or close to it,” Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar said in the release. “There’s a lot of enthusiasm and hype centered around the game.”
Gonzaga and Washington have met 43 times, with the first game coming in 1910. This will be good for college basketball to have these two teams playing again on a yearly basis.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)