Aug 4, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
After a 10-year hiatus, Gonzaga and Washington will renew their in-state rivalry beginning again in 2016-17, according to a joint release from the schools.
The four-year home-and-home series doesn’t have a starting point as to who will host the first game, but it’s a step in the right direction for one of college basketball’s dormant non-conference rivalries.
“We always knew we would resume the series,” Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said in the release. “But our schedules have been full the last few years. We have an opportunity in 2016-17 and both teams were agreeable to playing.”
Gonzaga won the last time the two teams played in 2006 with a home victory and Washington won at home the season before to snap a seven-game losing streak in the series.
“The fans have shown that they really appreciate the game with Washington and Gonzaga. I mean, every one of them since we’ve been here has been a sellout, or close to it,” Washington head coach Lorenzo Romar said in the release. “There’s a lot of enthusiasm and hype centered around the game.”
Gonzaga and Washington have met 43 times, with the first game coming in 1910. This will be good for college basketball to have these two teams playing again on a yearly basis.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)