Aug 4, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Over the weekend, Michigan State redshirt sophomore Kenny Kaminski tweeted out that that he was leaving the program.
On Monday, Tom Izzo put out a statement that in no uncertain terms made it clear that he was in fact dismissed from the program.
“Despite multiple opportunities, Kenny Kaminski could not live up to the obligations necessary to be a part of our program,” Izzo said. “Being a Spartan is a special opportunity, and at Michigan State we do everything we can to provide an amazing experience for our student-athletes. With that privilege also comes a responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After he repeatedly failed to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss Kenny from the program.”
“Although this is disappointing, it is just a minor setback as we are coming off one of the best summers in recent years. I remain excited about the prospects of our team moving forward. We have a group of individuals dedicated to a common goal and they are willing to do whatever it takes to reach their lofty standards, and ready to push each other to be the best they can be.”
Kaminski averaged 4.9 points in 12.2 minutes last season. The 6-foot-8 forward shot 49.4% from three, but he was twice suspended from the team for academic reasons.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 2
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)