Aug 4, 2014, 10:02 AM EST
USC’s front court depth got that much weaker over the weekend as incoming freshman Jabari Craig was ruled a partial qualifier and ineligible for the upcoming season.
He will enroll in Junior College instead, according to reports.
Craig was a 6-foot-10 product of Fishburne Military Academy (Va.) and rated a three-star recruit by Rivals. He was one of two front court players in a promising but not overwhelming first recruiting class for Andy Enfield with the Trojans.
USC is going to be in a tough spot this season, as they lost their top four scorers from last year’s team that finished 2-16 in the Pac-12. UNLV transfer Katin Reinhardt will be eligible this season, and Enfield did land four-star recruits Elijah Stewart and Jordan McLaughlin, as well as Malik Price-Martin, but that’s not going to be enough to make USC relevant in the league race this year.
Without Craig, Enfield will once again rely heavily on a pair of Serbian big men, Nikola Jovanovic and Strahinja Gavrilovic.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 12
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (3)