Aug 5, 2014, 1:44 PM EST
Cal has landed their first commitment in the Class of 2016, as Oscar Frayer pledged to be a Golden Bear on Monday night.
“I have officially verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley,” Frayer wrote on twitter.
Frayer is a 6-foot-5 wing that is bouncy and energetic. He’s currently ranked No. 66 in the class by Rivals, but he’s a guy that can get a lot better as he continues to develop his game. Frayer’s jumper needs work, as does his ability to handle the ball. At this point, he’s more of an athlete that plays basketball as opposed to an athletic basketball player.
Frayer plays his high school ball for Moreau Catholic in Hayward, California, and spends his summers running with the Oakland Soldiers, which is why this pick-up is important. The Soldiers are one of the best AAU programs on the west coast — Stanley Johnson is a product of their club, while Stephen Zimmerman and Cal target Ivan Rabb highlight the Class of 2015 stars on the roster.
Being able to land the kids from that program with the academic pedigree to succeed at Berkeley is really important for the longterm success that Cuonzo Martin will have there.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 0
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)