Aug 5, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Cal has landed their first commitment in the Class of 2016, as Oscar Frayer pledged to be a Golden Bear on Monday night.
“I have officially verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley,” Frayer wrote on twitter.
Frayer is a 6-foot-5 wing that is bouncy and energetic. He’s currently ranked No. 66 in the class by Rivals, but he’s a guy that can get a lot better as he continues to develop his game. Frayer’s jumper needs work, as does his ability to handle the ball. At this point, he’s more of an athlete that plays basketball as opposed to an athletic basketball player.
Frayer plays his high school ball for Moreau Catholic in Hayward, California, and spends his summers running with the Oakland Soldiers, which is why this pick-up is important. The Soldiers are one of the best AAU programs on the west coast — Stanley Johnson is a product of their club, while Stephen Zimmerman and Cal target Ivan Rabb highlight the Class of 2015 stars on the roster.
Being able to land the kids from that program with the academic pedigree to succeed at Berkeley is really important for the longterm success that Cuonzo Martin will have there.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1