Aug 5, 2014, 1:44 PM EST
Cal has landed their first commitment in the Class of 2016, as Oscar Frayer pledged to be a Golden Bear on Monday night.
“I have officially verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley,” Frayer wrote on twitter.
Frayer is a 6-foot-5 wing that is bouncy and energetic. He’s currently ranked No. 66 in the class by Rivals, but he’s a guy that can get a lot better as he continues to develop his game. Frayer’s jumper needs work, as does his ability to handle the ball. At this point, he’s more of an athlete that plays basketball as opposed to an athletic basketball player.
Frayer plays his high school ball for Moreau Catholic in Hayward, California, and spends his summers running with the Oakland Soldiers, which is why this pick-up is important. The Soldiers are one of the best AAU programs on the west coast — Stanley Johnson is a product of their club, while Stephen Zimmerman and Cal target Ivan Rabb highlight the Class of 2015 stars on the roster.
Being able to land the kids from that program with the academic pedigree to succeed at Berkeley is really important for the longterm success that Cuonzo Martin will have there.
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American Team 0
- Kentucky still has one more major test to pass this season and it might not come against Louisville 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 1
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)