Aug 5, 2014, 1:44 PM EST
Cal has landed their first commitment in the Class of 2016, as Oscar Frayer pledged to be a Golden Bear on Monday night.
“I have officially verbally committed to the University of California, Berkeley,” Frayer wrote on twitter.
Frayer is a 6-foot-5 wing that is bouncy and energetic. He’s currently ranked No. 66 in the class by Rivals, but he’s a guy that can get a lot better as he continues to develop his game. Frayer’s jumper needs work, as does his ability to handle the ball. At this point, he’s more of an athlete that plays basketball as opposed to an athletic basketball player.
Frayer plays his high school ball for Moreau Catholic in Hayward, California, and spends his summers running with the Oakland Soldiers, which is why this pick-up is important. The Soldiers are one of the best AAU programs on the west coast — Stanley Johnson is a product of their club, while Stephen Zimmerman and Cal target Ivan Rabb highlight the Class of 2015 stars on the roster.
Being able to land the kids from that program with the academic pedigree to succeed at Berkeley is really important for the longterm success that Cuonzo Martin will have there.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)