Aug 5, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
After a pair of investigations, College of Charleston head coach Doug Wojcik was fired on Tuesday afternoon.
Wojcik had been accused of verbally and physically abusing players. The investigation, conducted by the school, first went public in early July, followed by 50-page report, documenting the allegations. He was investigated a second time later that month, when a former player came forward claiming he had been in a physical confrontation with Wojcik in December 2012.
The school announced that Wojcik was fired for cause, in accordance to the terms of his contract. He had $1.2 million remaining on his deal.
“I want you to know, however, that the College of Charleston does not publicly discuss or comment on the specifics of personnel matters, unless there is a significantly compelling or legally mandated reason to do so,” College of Charleston President Glenn F. McConnell wrote in a statement.
Assistant coach Antonio Reynolds Dean was named acting head coach on Aug. 1 while Wojcik served an unpaid suspension. Dean and the other two Charleston assistants handled the majority of the recruiting during the July live period, as Wojcik was barred from the first week, but was seen at events in South Carolina and Atlanta later in the month, according to reports.
Andrew Miller, who has covered this scandal for the Post and Courier, reported over the weekend that former Charleston guard and NBA veteran Anthony Johnson was being considered the frontrunner for the job as the school looked to put an end to the ordeal. Whoever takes over the program will inherit a 14-18 (6-10 CAA) team without its leading scorer and rebounder from a season ago. But this is a quality mid-major job in a competitive conference.
In two seasons at Charleston, Wojcik was 38-29. He spent the previous seven seasons at Tulsa.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)