Aug 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
So maybe Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson wasn’t ruled ineligible for this season?
The former Hokie transferred to Ohio State in April. He applied for a hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery. On Saturday night, a tweet from the 6-foot-11 center left the impression that he would be ineligible and would have to redshirt this season.
Not being able to play this year is going to be tough but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be.
— Trevor Thompson (@TrevBallinTrey2) August 3, 2014
On Monday, Ohio State head coach Thad Matta told Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com that the NCAA has not made a decision on the eligibility status of Thompson. The Buckeyes left for the Bahamas this week, where they will play to exhibition games. Thompson was not allowed to make the trip with the team.
Ohio State brings back seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald. The frontline is bolstered by the addition of Temple graduate transfer Anthony Lee, a 6-foot-9 forward who averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the Owls in the 2013-2014 season.
If Thompson were to be ruled ineligible, he will have three years remaining. Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Virginia Tech.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)