Aug 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
So maybe Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson wasn’t ruled ineligible for this season?
The former Hokie transferred to Ohio State in April. He applied for a hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery. On Saturday night, a tweet from the 6-foot-11 center left the impression that he would be ineligible and would have to redshirt this season.
Not being able to play this year is going to be tough but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be.
— Trevor Thompson (@TrevBallinTrey2) August 3, 2014
On Monday, Ohio State head coach Thad Matta told Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com that the NCAA has not made a decision on the eligibility status of Thompson. The Buckeyes left for the Bahamas this week, where they will play to exhibition games. Thompson was not allowed to make the trip with the team.
Ohio State brings back seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald. The frontline is bolstered by the addition of Temple graduate transfer Anthony Lee, a 6-foot-9 forward who averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the Owls in the 2013-2014 season.
If Thompson were to be ruled ineligible, he will have three years remaining. Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Virginia Tech.
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program 9
- Chase for 180: Already a good shooter, Tyler Harvey’s been even better in 2014-15 0
- Film Session: The case for Jerian Grant as National Player of the Year 1
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 7
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 2
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 2
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 3
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (10)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)