Aug 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
So maybe Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson wasn’t ruled ineligible for this season?
The former Hokie transferred to Ohio State in April. He applied for a hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery. On Saturday night, a tweet from the 6-foot-11 center left the impression that he would be ineligible and would have to redshirt this season.
Not being able to play this year is going to be tough but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be.
— Trevor Thompson (@TrevBallinTrey2) August 3, 2014
On Monday, Ohio State head coach Thad Matta told Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com that the NCAA has not made a decision on the eligibility status of Thompson. The Buckeyes left for the Bahamas this week, where they will play to exhibition games. Thompson was not allowed to make the trip with the team.
Ohio State brings back seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald. The frontline is bolstered by the addition of Temple graduate transfer Anthony Lee, a 6-foot-9 forward who averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the Owls in the 2013-2014 season.
If Thompson were to be ruled ineligible, he will have three years remaining. Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Virginia Tech.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)
- Wichita State lands transfer guard from Texas A&M (2)