Aug 5, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
So maybe Virginia Tech transfer Trevor Thompson wasn’t ruled ineligible for this season?
The former Hokie transferred to Ohio State in April. He applied for a hardship waiver, citing his desire to be closer to his family, specifically his father who is undergoing neck surgery. On Saturday night, a tweet from the 6-foot-11 center left the impression that he would be ineligible and would have to redshirt this season.
Not being able to play this year is going to be tough but it just adds more fuel to my fire to becoming the best basketball player I can be.
— Trevor Thompson (@TrevBallinTrey2) August 3, 2014
On Monday, Ohio State head coach Thad Matta told Ari Wasserman of Cleveland.com that the NCAA has not made a decision on the eligibility status of Thompson. The Buckeyes left for the Bahamas this week, where they will play to exhibition games. Thompson was not allowed to make the trip with the team.
Ohio State brings back seniors Amir Williams and Trey McDonald. The frontline is bolstered by the addition of Temple graduate transfer Anthony Lee, a 6-foot-9 forward who averaged 13.6 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the Owls in the 2013-2014 season.
If Thompson were to be ruled ineligible, he will have three years remaining. Thompson averaged 5.0 points and 4.7 rebounds in 16.2 minutes per game for the Virginia Tech.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)