Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Max Good joined the UNLV men’s basketball program on Tuesday, the school announced.
Good, who spent the last six seasons at Loyola Marymount, was introduced as a special assistant on Dave Rice’s coaching staff for this upcoming season. He served as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Bryant — then a Division II school — before taking over at LMU in 2008.
“We are very excited to have Coach Good back with the Runnin’ Rebels,” Rice said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely valuable in many different areas of our program.”
Good was named Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 2012 after leading the Lions to a 21-win season. That was followed by back-to-back losing seasons, including a last place finish in the WCC this past season. Despite having two of the more talented young players in the conference in Evan Payne and Gabe Levin, LMU opted not to renew his contract in March.
The former UNLV assistant had been linked to a return with the Runnin’ Rebels since leaving Loyola Marymount. UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer was named the new head coach of Tennessee-Martin this offseason. One report had Good rumored to be Schroyer’s replacement.
Good is in a newly-created position by the university. While he will be involved in some of the day-to-day operations, it is a non-coaching job.
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 2
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 22
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (22)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)