Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
Max Good joined the UNLV men’s basketball program on Tuesday, the school announced.
Good, who spent the last six seasons at Loyola Marymount, was introduced as a special assistant on Dave Rice’s coaching staff for this upcoming season. He served as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Bryant — then a Division II school — before taking over at LMU in 2008.
“We are very excited to have Coach Good back with the Runnin’ Rebels,” Rice said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely valuable in many different areas of our program.”
Good was named Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 2012 after leading the Lions to a 21-win season. That was followed by back-to-back losing seasons, including a last place finish in the WCC this past season. Despite having two of the more talented young players in the conference in Evan Payne and Gabe Levin, LMU opted not to renew his contract in March.
The former UNLV assistant had been linked to a return with the Runnin’ Rebels since leaving Loyola Marymount. UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer was named the new head coach of Tennessee-Martin this offseason. One report had Good rumored to be Schroyer’s replacement.
Good is in a newly-created position by the university. While he will be involved in some of the day-to-day operations, it is a non-coaching job.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)