Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Max Good joined the UNLV men’s basketball program on Tuesday, the school announced.
Good, who spent the last six seasons at Loyola Marymount, was introduced as a special assistant on Dave Rice’s coaching staff for this upcoming season. He served as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Bryant — then a Division II school — before taking over at LMU in 2008.
“We are very excited to have Coach Good back with the Runnin’ Rebels,” Rice said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely valuable in many different areas of our program.”
Good was named Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 2012 after leading the Lions to a 21-win season. That was followed by back-to-back losing seasons, including a last place finish in the WCC this past season. Despite having two of the more talented young players in the conference in Evan Payne and Gabe Levin, LMU opted not to renew his contract in March.
The former UNLV assistant had been linked to a return with the Runnin’ Rebels since leaving Loyola Marymount. UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer was named the new head coach of Tennessee-Martin this offseason. One report had Good rumored to be Schroyer’s replacement.
Good is in a newly-created position by the university. While he will be involved in some of the day-to-day operations, it is a non-coaching job.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)