Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Max Good joined the UNLV men’s basketball program on Tuesday, the school announced.
Good, who spent the last six seasons at Loyola Marymount, was introduced as a special assistant on Dave Rice’s coaching staff for this upcoming season. He served as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Bryant — then a Division II school — before taking over at LMU in 2008.
“We are very excited to have Coach Good back with the Runnin’ Rebels,” Rice said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely valuable in many different areas of our program.”
Good was named Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 2012 after leading the Lions to a 21-win season. That was followed by back-to-back losing seasons, including a last place finish in the WCC this past season. Despite having two of the more talented young players in the conference in Evan Payne and Gabe Levin, LMU opted not to renew his contract in March.
The former UNLV assistant had been linked to a return with the Runnin’ Rebels since leaving Loyola Marymount. UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer was named the new head coach of Tennessee-Martin this offseason. One report had Good rumored to be Schroyer’s replacement.
Good is in a newly-created position by the university. While he will be involved in some of the day-to-day operations, it is a non-coaching job.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)