Aug 5, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Max Good joined the UNLV men’s basketball program on Tuesday, the school announced.
Good, who spent the last six seasons at Loyola Marymount, was introduced as a special assistant on Dave Rice’s coaching staff for this upcoming season. He served as the head coach at Eastern Kentucky and Bryant — then a Division II school — before taking over at LMU in 2008.
“We are very excited to have Coach Good back with the Runnin’ Rebels,” Rice said in a statement. “He brings a wealth of knowledge and experience that will be extremely valuable in many different areas of our program.”
Good was named Big West Conference Coach of the Year in 2012 after leading the Lions to a 21-win season. That was followed by back-to-back losing seasons, including a last place finish in the WCC this past season. Despite having two of the more talented young players in the conference in Evan Payne and Gabe Levin, LMU opted not to renew his contract in March.
The former UNLV assistant had been linked to a return with the Runnin’ Rebels since leaving Loyola Marymount. UNLV assistant coach Heath Schroyer was named the new head coach of Tennessee-Martin this offseason. One report had Good rumored to be Schroyer’s replacement.
Good is in a newly-created position by the university. While he will be involved in some of the day-to-day operations, it is a non-coaching job.
- Fixing his flaws: How Kris Dunn has attacked the two weaknesses in his game 0
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 2
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble (2)
- Marquette coaches discuss daily ‘noon ball’ tradition (VIDEO) (2)
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? (2)