Aug 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Demetris Morant has a waiver to grant him immediate eligibility at Florida-Gulf Coast granted, the school announced on Tuesday.
“I’m very happy that the process is over and was completed before the school year even started,” Morant said in a release put out by the school. “I’d like to thank everyone who worked on the waiver to get me eligible for this season. I’m excited to get to work, and I’m looking forward to contributing to this year’s team.”
Morant played at UNLV last season, but only saw limited time playing garbage minutes. Morant is a Miami native with family in Florida. He was given a legislative relief waiver and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
“Demetris is a tremendous young man with great potential, and we’re extremely pleased that he’ll be able to help us this year,” head coach Joe Dooley added. “His great work ethic coupled with his talent will help bolster our front line immensely. Demetris will be a key part of our program as we move forward, and the rest of our players will benefit from him being eligible next season.”
Morant is a super-athletic, 6-foot-9 forward that was a borderline top 100 recruit coming out of high school.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)