Aug 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Demetris Morant has a waiver to grant him immediate eligibility at Florida-Gulf Coast granted, the school announced on Tuesday.
“I’m very happy that the process is over and was completed before the school year even started,” Morant said in a release put out by the school. “I’d like to thank everyone who worked on the waiver to get me eligible for this season. I’m excited to get to work, and I’m looking forward to contributing to this year’s team.”
Morant played at UNLV last season, but only saw limited time playing garbage minutes. Morant is a Miami native with family in Florida. He was given a legislative relief waiver and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
“Demetris is a tremendous young man with great potential, and we’re extremely pleased that he’ll be able to help us this year,” head coach Joe Dooley added. “His great work ethic coupled with his talent will help bolster our front line immensely. Demetris will be a key part of our program as we move forward, and the rest of our players will benefit from him being eligible next season.”
Morant is a super-athletic, 6-foot-9 forward that was a borderline top 100 recruit coming out of high school.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)