Aug 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Demetris Morant has a waiver to grant him immediate eligibility at Florida-Gulf Coast granted, the school announced on Tuesday.
“I’m very happy that the process is over and was completed before the school year even started,” Morant said in a release put out by the school. “I’d like to thank everyone who worked on the waiver to get me eligible for this season. I’m excited to get to work, and I’m looking forward to contributing to this year’s team.”
Morant played at UNLV last season, but only saw limited time playing garbage minutes. Morant is a Miami native with family in Florida. He was given a legislative relief waiver and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
“Demetris is a tremendous young man with great potential, and we’re extremely pleased that he’ll be able to help us this year,” head coach Joe Dooley added. “His great work ethic coupled with his talent will help bolster our front line immensely. Demetris will be a key part of our program as we move forward, and the rest of our players will benefit from him being eligible next season.”
Morant is a super-athletic, 6-foot-9 forward that was a borderline top 100 recruit coming out of high school.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)