Aug 5, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Demetris Morant has a waiver to grant him immediate eligibility at Florida-Gulf Coast granted, the school announced on Tuesday.
“I’m very happy that the process is over and was completed before the school year even started,” Morant said in a release put out by the school. “I’d like to thank everyone who worked on the waiver to get me eligible for this season. I’m excited to get to work, and I’m looking forward to contributing to this year’s team.”
Morant played at UNLV last season, but only saw limited time playing garbage minutes. Morant is a Miami native with family in Florida. He was given a legislative relief waiver and will have three seasons of eligibility remaining.
“Demetris is a tremendous young man with great potential, and we’re extremely pleased that he’ll be able to help us this year,” head coach Joe Dooley added. “His great work ethic coupled with his talent will help bolster our front line immensely. Demetris will be a key part of our program as we move forward, and the rest of our players will benefit from him being eligible next season.”
Morant is a super-athletic, 6-foot-9 forward that was a borderline top 100 recruit coming out of high school.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)