Aug 6, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT
New USF head coach Orlando Antigua has done a good job on the recruiting trail during his short time at the helm. The former Kentucky assistant was able to put together a six-member 2014 class, and he also received a commitment from former Maryland guard Roddy Peters. Peters will be eligible to play in games in 2015, and on Wednesday a second player was added to that class in the form of 6-foot-8 center Luis Santos according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com.
In order to land Santos, Antigua returned to his old stomping grounds as like the head coach Santos attended St. Raymond’s High School in the Bronx. Santos will finish his high school career at Sunrise Christian Academy in Wichita, Kansas.
According to the report, Santos was an all-borough selection last season. St. Raymond’s coach Jorge Lopez noted the relationship between Santos and Antigua when asked about the factors that led to his player verbally committing to USF.
“I think that was probably the greatest deciding factor here,” Lopez said. “The fact that he has a relationship with those guys and he looks up to Orlando with Orlando being a assistant for the Dominican Republic National team and now the head coach. Of course Oliver [USF assistant Oliver Antigua] coaching him in 2011, he just feels very comfortable with them.”
With three veterans (John Egbunu, Zach LeDay and Jordon Omogbehin) deciding to transfer following the firing of Stan Heath, one of the first orders of business on the recruiting trail for Antigua was to add depth to the front court. With junior college transfer Jaleel Cousins and freshman Ruben Guerrero joining holdovers Dre’Kalo Clayton and Chris Perry he’s done that, and the addition of Santos helps with regards to the future.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)