Aug 6, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
With Glenn Robinson III and Nik Stauskas among the four members of the Michigan rotation having moved on following a season in which the Wolverines won the Big Ten regular season title and reached the Elite Eight, a summer trip to Italy comes as just the right time. Head coach John Beilein and his assistants will be able to evaluate the returnees and newcomers in game action, with the program leaving the States on August 15.
Unfortunately for the Wolverines 6-foot-9 freshman forward D.J. Wilson will only be a spectator in Italy, as it was announced Wednesday afternoon that he’ll be out for 4-6 weeks following surgery to repair the pinky finger on his right hand.
“This is an unfortunate injury for D.J.,” Beilein said in the release. “However, we have the best training and medical staff here at U-M, so we know he is in good hands. We anticipate a speedy recovery so D.J. will be back and at 100 percent when we start our September workouts.”
With Robinson, Jordan Morgan and Jon Horford (graduate transfer to Florida) all having moved on, the play of the front court is something many will keep track of while the Wolverines are in Italy. Heading into the 2014-15 season Michigan has just one upperclassman in its front court and that’s senior Max Bielfeldt, who played just 4.7 minutes per game (19 appearances) last season.
Wilson is expected to compete for playing time alongside the likes of redshirt freshman Mark Donnal and classmates Ricky Doyle and Kameron Chatman (who’s listed as a guard/forward by the school). It goes without saying that the opportunity to see Wilson in game action would have been a positive for Beilein and his staff, but the good news is that they expect him to be ready for workouts ahead of the start of practice.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)