Aug 7, 2014, 5:36 PM EST
While the 2013-14 season was a tough one for USC head coach Andy Enfield in the wins and losses department, he and his assistants did enjoy some success on the recruiting trail. And that has carried over into the Class of 2015, with the Trojans holding a verbal commitment from power forward Chimezie Metu.
On Thursday the USC coaching staff landed its second commitment in the class, as 6-foot-9 forward Bennie Boatwright verbally committed to attend the Pac-12 school according to Evan Daniels of Scout.com. Going into his senior year at Village Christian School in Los Angeles, Boatwright played well this spring/summer for the Gamepoint and Dream Vision grassroots programs.
Boatwright is considered to be one of the top perimeter shooters in his class, especially when it comes to forwards who are capable of stepping out beyond the three-point line. His ability to score on the perimeter is something that will help USC moving forward, as the Trojans finished last season ranked tenth in the Pac-12 in field goal percentage and dead last in three-point percentage.
Those numbers are expected to improve some this year, with Jordan McLaughlin leading a solid group of freshmen on the perimeter and Katin Reinhardt eligible after sitting out last season per NCAA transfer rules. Boatwright is in the “high flyer” mold of forwards who helped Enfield lead FGCU to the Sweet 16 in 2013, but his offensive skill set will help the head coach as he looks to put together a group at USC that’s as potent offensively as those Eagles were.
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 1
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)