Aug 7, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
Less than a week ago Renton, Washington product Dominic Green was on a plane headed to Long Beach, California to join the high school players at adidas Nations with injuries and early departures depleting the ranks some. The 6-foot-7 guard/forward enjoyed a productive spring/summer for his grassroots program, which opened the door for that opportunity and also resulted in more attention on the recruiting trail.
Thursday afternoon it was reported by Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports that Green has verbally committed to attend Arizona State. Green attends Hazen High School, where he was named Seamount League Player of the Year last season after helping to lead Hazen to an 18-4 overall record.
Green is the first verbal commitment in the Class of 2015 for Herb Sendek, and the pledge comes at a position of need as the Sun Devils will lose multiple contributors on the wing following the 2014-15 season including Jonathan Gilling and Shaquielle McKissic.
“Defensively I’m long, so I can guard bigger players and I can guard smaller guys as well,” Green told NBCSports.com Monday evening following the third place game at adidas Nations. “I’m looking to improve my handle, getting stronger and I need to get quicker [as well].”
During the brief conversation, Green noted that the big difference for him in the spring and summer was the fact that he was playing harder than he did during the high school season, which resulted in more attention from college basketball programs. Among the schools he mentioned was Arizona State, and Thursday Green verbally committed to joining the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)