Aug 7, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
Less than a week ago Renton, Washington product Dominic Green was on a plane headed to Long Beach, California to join the high school players at adidas Nations with injuries and early departures depleting the ranks some. The 6-foot-7 guard/forward enjoyed a productive spring/summer for his grassroots program, which opened the door for that opportunity and also resulted in more attention on the recruiting trail.
Thursday afternoon it was reported by Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports that Green has verbally committed to attend Arizona State. Green attends Hazen High School, where he was named Seamount League Player of the Year last season after helping to lead Hazen to an 18-4 overall record.
Green is the first verbal commitment in the Class of 2015 for Herb Sendek, and the pledge comes at a position of need as the Sun Devils will lose multiple contributors on the wing following the 2014-15 season including Jonathan Gilling and Shaquielle McKissic.
“Defensively I’m long, so I can guard bigger players and I can guard smaller guys as well,” Green told NBCSports.com Monday evening following the third place game at adidas Nations. “I’m looking to improve my handle, getting stronger and I need to get quicker [as well].”
During the brief conversation, Green noted that the big difference for him in the spring and summer was the fact that he was playing harder than he did during the high school season, which resulted in more attention from college basketball programs. Among the schools he mentioned was Arizona State, and Thursday Green verbally committed to joining the program.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)