Aug 7, 2014, 6:56 PM EST
Less than a week ago Renton, Washington product Dominic Green was on a plane headed to Long Beach, California to join the high school players at adidas Nations with injuries and early departures depleting the ranks some. The 6-foot-7 guard/forward enjoyed a productive spring/summer for his grassroots program, which opened the door for that opportunity and also resulted in more attention on the recruiting trail.
Thursday afternoon it was reported by Doug Haller of AZCentral Sports that Green has verbally committed to attend Arizona State. Green attends Hazen High School, where he was named Seamount League Player of the Year last season after helping to lead Hazen to an 18-4 overall record.
Green is the first verbal commitment in the Class of 2015 for Herb Sendek, and the pledge comes at a position of need as the Sun Devils will lose multiple contributors on the wing following the 2014-15 season including Jonathan Gilling and Shaquielle McKissic.
“Defensively I’m long, so I can guard bigger players and I can guard smaller guys as well,” Green told NBCSports.com Monday evening following the third place game at adidas Nations. “I’m looking to improve my handle, getting stronger and I need to get quicker [as well].”
During the brief conversation, Green noted that the big difference for him in the spring and summer was the fact that he was playing harder than he did during the high school season, which resulted in more attention from college basketball programs. Among the schools he mentioned was Arizona State, and Thursday Green verbally committed to joining the program.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)