Aug 7, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
Prior to the start of the NCAA tournament, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White was tweeting about Duke when a Mercer fan responded by saying that the Blue Devils were going to get upset by the Bears in the opening round.
@DHoyt77 if mercer beat duke I will give you season tickets 50 yard line first row
— Roddy White (@roddywhiteTV) March 18, 2014
And the rest is history.
Mercer went on to dance their way into the Round of 32, and White, succumbing to endless pressure from people on twitter and around the blogosphere, eventually paid up, giving Hoyt a pair of season tickets, a pair of tickets to the Super Bowl, sideline passes to a Falcons game and a pass to come visit training camp for a day.
The fan, a 20-year old farmer named Dylan Hoyt, made that visit to camp on Wednesday to collect his winnings.
It seems like White has learned his lesson.
“Never bet anything unless you’re willing to pay up,” he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)