Aug 7, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
Prior to the start of the NCAA tournament, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White was tweeting about Duke when a Mercer fan responded by saying that the Blue Devils were going to get upset by the Bears in the opening round.
@DHoyt77 if mercer beat duke I will give you season tickets 50 yard line first row
— Roddy White (@roddywhiteTV) March 18, 2014
And the rest is history.
Mercer went on to dance their way into the Round of 32, and White, succumbing to endless pressure from people on twitter and around the blogosphere, eventually paid up, giving Hoyt a pair of season tickets, a pair of tickets to the Super Bowl, sideline passes to a Falcons game and a pass to come visit training camp for a day.
The fan, a 20-year old farmer named Dylan Hoyt, made that visit to camp on Wednesday to collect his winnings.
It seems like White has learned his lesson.
“Never bet anything unless you’re willing to pay up,” he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)