Aug 7, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
Prior to the start of the NCAA tournament, Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Roddy White was tweeting about Duke when a Mercer fan responded by saying that the Blue Devils were going to get upset by the Bears in the opening round.
@DHoyt77 if mercer beat duke I will give you season tickets 50 yard line first row
— Roddy White (@roddywhiteTV) March 18, 2014
And the rest is history.
Mercer went on to dance their way into the Round of 32, and White, succumbing to endless pressure from people on twitter and around the blogosphere, eventually paid up, giving Hoyt a pair of season tickets, a pair of tickets to the Super Bowl, sideline passes to a Falcons game and a pass to come visit training camp for a day.
The fan, a 20-year old farmer named Dylan Hoyt, made that visit to camp on Wednesday to collect his winnings.
It seems like White has learned his lesson.
“Never bet anything unless you’re willing to pay up,” he told the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)