Aug 7, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT
While Brewster Academy guard Donovan Mitchell entered the summer with high-major offers, it can be said that he was being overlooked in some circles. Mitchell changed that by putting together an outstanding summer, making him the biggest riser of the season with regards to recruiting boards.
Thursday night Mitchell tweeted that he has verbally committed to attend Louisville, adding to a 2015 recruiting haul that ranks as one of the nation’s best to date.
Mitchell joins wing Deng Adel and power forward Raymond Spalding as players who have verbally committed to play for Rick Pitino, and his skill set fits well with the Cardinals’ style of play. Mitchell’s a high-level scorer but he isn’t selfish offensively, as he’s a solid distributor of the basketball as well. And as a solid defender, he’ll fit in well with Louisville’s pressure defense.
Louisville loses two guards at the end of the 2014-15 season, with Chris Jones and Wayne Blackshear both entering the campaign as seniors. Among the perimeter players who will have eligibility remaining when this trio arrives on campus are Terry Rozier, Anton Gill and Quentin Snider.
Among the other programs considered by Mitchell were Boston College, Florida State, Providence and Villanova. Mitchell, who committed to Louisville while on his official visit, took an unofficial to Villanova on Monday.
May 29, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
Khalid El-Amin’s son has game.
May 29, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
Will Iowa State’s lone 2015 high school commit stay put if Fred Hoiberg leaves?
May 29, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Oklahoma State badly needed another big man and might have found some help.
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Duke is getting another Parade National Player of the Year.
May 29, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT
With Fred Hoiberg being tabbed the frontrunner for the Bulls job, Hornacek’s name has come up as a possible replacement in Ames.
May 29, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Jones will undergo surgery June 1 in Baltimore.
May 29, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
The last time these two teams met at a neutral site was back in 1992.
May 29, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
Kansas also has plans to host former Providence center Paschal Chukwu in early June.
May 29, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dai-Jon Parker played this past season at the University of Indianapolis.
May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
Fred Hoiberg’s status has impacted recruiting in multiple cases for Iowa State this spring.
May 28, 2015, 7:43 PM EDT
Big 12 tournaments held at the Sprint Center have averaged more than 18,000 fans per session.
May 28, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Each team will have three “permanent” opponents they’re guaranteed to play twice every season.
May 28, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Video surfaced showing that Alie-Cox wasn’t involved in the incident, contradicting a woman’s claim that he punched her in the face.
May 28, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
UConn’s now added three transfers to the program this spring, two of whom will be eligible immediately as graduate students.
May 28, 2015, 3:24 PM EDT
Foster led Clemson to their only Elite 8 appearance in program history.
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Paige went to high school an hour from UNI’s campus.
May 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Iowa State fans shouldn’t freak out too much.
May 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
Dellavedova was a star with the Gaels before he became this year’s NBA Playoff star.
May 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Byers created the term “student-athlete” and first sold TV rights for NCAA broadcasts, but later wrote a book blasting the NCAA for exploiting athletes.
May 28, 2015, 9:52 AM EDT
This is a step in the right direction by the Big 12.
- #FredHoibergWatch officially commences today, as Bulls fire Thibodeau 3
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 43
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 7
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (43)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (10)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (7)
- Report: Class of 2016 four-star wing considering college among playing options for next season (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)