Aug 7, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Having already received a verbal commitment from shooting guard King McClure, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has added a big man to his 2015 recruiting class with Neosho County CC forward Joseph Acuil verbally committing to the Big 12 program. The news was first reported by Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com.
As a freshman at Neosho County the 7-foot Acuil posted averages of 11.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per game, helping to lead the team to a 21-11 record. Acuil shot better than 56 percent from the field and 72.2% from the foul line, and he put together his best offensive performance in a win over Cowley County CC on February 15.
Acuil accounted for 30 points (9-for-16 FG, 11-for-11 FT), 16 rebounds, five blocks and four steals in the 83-79 victory, and that scoring effort fell in the middle of a season-best seven game streak of reaching double figures in points.
In recent years under Drew, Baylor hasn’t lacked for depth in the paint and that will once again be the case despite the loss of both Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin. Of the returnees just one is a senior in 2014-15 (Royce O’Neale), meaning that Acuil will compete with the likes of Rico Gathers, Taurean Prince and junior college transfer Deng Deng for playing time when he arrives on campus prior to the 2015-16 season.
- Jalen Rose planning a book about the Fab Five 2
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 1
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1