Aug 7, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
Having already received a verbal commitment from shooting guard King McClure, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has added a big man to his 2015 recruiting class with Neosho County CC forward Joseph Acuil verbally committing to the Big 12 program. The news was first reported by Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com.
As a freshman at Neosho County the 7-foot Acuil posted averages of 11.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per game, helping to lead the team to a 21-11 record. Acuil shot better than 56 percent from the field and 72.2% from the foul line, and he put together his best offensive performance in a win over Cowley County CC on February 15.
Acuil accounted for 30 points (9-for-16 FG, 11-for-11 FT), 16 rebounds, five blocks and four steals in the 83-79 victory, and that scoring effort fell in the middle of a season-best seven game streak of reaching double figures in points.
In recent years under Drew, Baylor hasn’t lacked for depth in the paint and that will once again be the case despite the loss of both Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin. Of the returnees just one is a senior in 2014-15 (Royce O’Neale), meaning that Acuil will compete with the likes of Rico Gathers, Taurean Prince and junior college transfer Deng Deng for playing time when he arrives on campus prior to the 2015-16 season.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)