Aug 7, 2014, 10:07 PM EST
Having already received a verbal commitment from shooting guard King McClure, Baylor head coach Scott Drew has added a big man to his 2015 recruiting class with Neosho County CC forward Joseph Acuil verbally committing to the Big 12 program. The news was first reported by Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com.
As a freshman at Neosho County the 7-foot Acuil posted averages of 11.8 points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per game, helping to lead the team to a 21-11 record. Acuil shot better than 56 percent from the field and 72.2% from the foul line, and he put together his best offensive performance in a win over Cowley County CC on February 15.
Acuil accounted for 30 points (9-for-16 FG, 11-for-11 FT), 16 rebounds, five blocks and four steals in the 83-79 victory, and that scoring effort fell in the middle of a season-best seven game streak of reaching double figures in points.
In recent years under Drew, Baylor hasn’t lacked for depth in the paint and that will once again be the case despite the loss of both Cory Jefferson and Isaiah Austin. Of the returnees just one is a senior in 2014-15 (Royce O’Neale), meaning that Acuil will compete with the likes of Rico Gathers, Taurean Prince and junior college transfer Deng Deng for playing time when he arrives on campus prior to the 2015-16 season.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)