Aug 7, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Josh Pastner has landed a commitment from Calvin Godfrey, a 6-foot-8 transfer from Southern that averaged 13.1 points and 8.8 boards last season.
The news was first reported by ESPN.com.
Godfrey’s career started at Iowa State, where he averaged 5.7 points and 5.4 boards as a freshman. But he was kicked off the Cyclone team after an arrest for marijuana possession and ended up at Howard College for a year. He was supposed to enroll at LSU for the 2012-2013 season, but he was not accepted into the university. He made it to Southern that November and after sitting out the year, he played 2013-2014 with the Jaguars.
Godfrey has one season of eligibility remaining and should be able to play right away thanks to Southern’s APR issues. He’ll likely come off the bench as Austin Nichols and Shaq Goodwin look like starters in the Tiger front court.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent (3)