Aug 7, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Prior to the 2013-14 season, the Temple Owls had never endured a season of 20 or more losses. Due in large part to a lack of depth Fran Dunphy’s Owls struggled in the inaugural season of the American Athletic Conference, posting a record of nine wins and a program-worst 22 losses (4-14 American). With losses and the multiple misses on talented local recruits, some fans were becoming a bit antsy when it came to considering the future of the Temple program.
That’s what makes the news that 6-foot-5 wing Trey Lowe, who hails from Ewing, New Jersey, verbally committed to attend Temple on Thursday so important. It represents a much-needed boost for the program on the recruiting trail, and in Lowe the Owls have reeled in a player who will factor into their rotation upon his arrival on campus next fall.
Lowe also considered Saint Joseph’s, SMU and VCU before deciding to commit to Temple. As a junior at Ewing High School he led the team to a 27-5 record and averaged nearly 28 points per game. According to Jeremy Schneider of NJ.com, Lowe averaged just over 32 points per game during the state tournament (six games).
Lowe played his grassroots basketball for the Team Final program, helping to leading that squad to the title at The Eight in Las Vegas during July’s final evaluation period. Temple loses one key contributor on the perimeter following the 2014-15 season but that player is an important one, as Will Cummings averaged 16.8 points and 4.6 assists per game as a junior.
Quenton DeCosey and Clemson transfer Devin Coleman will both be seniors during the 2015-16 season and Josh Brown will be a junior. With this being the case Temple really needed to land a perimeter talent in this class, and in Trey Lowe they’ve added a scorer who could potentially help the Owls immediately.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)