Aug 7, 2014, 8:23 PM EST
Prior to the 2013-14 season, the Temple Owls had never endured a season of 20 or more losses. Due in large part to a lack of depth Fran Dunphy’s Owls struggled in the inaugural season of the American Athletic Conference, posting a record of nine wins and a program-worst 22 losses (4-14 American). With losses and the multiple misses on talented local recruits, some fans were becoming a bit antsy when it came to considering the future of the Temple program.
That’s what makes the news that 6-foot-5 wing Trey Lowe, who hails from Ewing, New Jersey, verbally committed to attend Temple on Thursday so important. It represents a much-needed boost for the program on the recruiting trail, and in Lowe the Owls have reeled in a player who will factor into their rotation upon his arrival on campus next fall.
Lowe also considered Saint Joseph’s, SMU and VCU before deciding to commit to Temple. As a junior at Ewing High School he led the team to a 27-5 record and averaged nearly 28 points per game. According to Jeremy Schneider of NJ.com, Lowe averaged just over 32 points per game during the state tournament (six games).
Lowe played his grassroots basketball for the Team Final program, helping to leading that squad to the title at The Eight in Las Vegas during July’s final evaluation period. Temple loses one key contributor on the perimeter following the 2014-15 season but that player is an important one, as Will Cummings averaged 16.8 points and 4.6 assists per game as a junior.
Quenton DeCosey and Clemson transfer Devin Coleman will both be seniors during the 2015-16 season and Josh Brown will be a junior. With this being the case Temple really needed to land a perimeter talent in this class, and in Trey Lowe they’ve added a scorer who could potentially help the Owls immediately.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 2
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)