Aug 8, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Steve Hawkins’ Western Michigan Broncos won 12 of 13 games before falling to Syracuse in the NCAA tournament Round of 64, and one of the keys to their run was guard David Brown. One of the best players in the Mid-American Conference, Brown led WMU with an average of 19.1 points to go along with 3.5 rebounds per contest.
With Shayne Whittington out of eligibility, losing Brown would have meant that the Broncos would attempt to return to the NCAA tournament without their top two scorers. Luckily for WMU that won’t be the case, as it was tweeted Thursday evening by David Drew of the Kalamazoo Gazette that Brown will return for his sixth and final season of eligibility.
Brown played in a total of 19 games in 2010-11 and 2011-12, with an ankle injury ending the first season after nine games and a knee injury being the reason ten games into the 2011-12 campaign. In the two seasons Brown has played since then he’s won the MAC’s Sixth Man of the Year award (2012-13) and was a first team All-MAC selection in 2013-14. Brown was also named MVP of the MAC tournament this past spring.
In addition to Brown the Broncos also welcome back forward Connor Tava, who averaged 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game in 2013-14. In total four of the team’s top five scorers from last season return to Kalamazoo. And with their go-to option leading the way, Western Michigan will be one of the preseason favorites to win the MAC.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 15
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)