Aug 8, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Arkansas State head coach John Brady, who has eight players on his current roster with playing experience at the junior college level, announced the addition of another such player Thursday afternoon. Devin Carter, who played sparingly at Kent State in 2013-14 after beginning his career at Lake Land College in Illinois, has joined the Arkansas State program. He’ll have two years of eligibility remaining after sitting out the upcoming 2014-15 season.
The question for Arkansas State is which player will they get: the one who put together a very productive freshman year at Lake Land, or the one who couldn’t crack Rob Senderoff’s rotation and played in just 13 games in 2013-14?
At Lake Land, Carter averaged 17.5 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game, shooting 40 percent from the field and 34 percent from beyond the arc. Carter reached double figures in 23 of the 28 games he played at Lake Land, including a 31-point effort in a loss at Vincennes College on February 6, 2013. With a season to sharpen his skills and help the Red Wolves on the scout team, maybe Carter can get back to that level.
“Devin is a very versatile player who can play any perimeter position,” Brady said in the release announcing Carter’s arrival. “He’s an extremely good passer and can drive it to the goal. Devin is a good enough perimeter shooter to keep a defender honest.”
There are no seniors on the current Arkansas State roster, meaning that Carter will have competition for minutes when he becomes eligible to play in games next year (2015-16). Arkansas State enters the 2014-15 season needing to account for the loss of their top three scorers from last season, with Melvin Johnson III (15.2 ppg), Kirk Van Slyke (14.9) and Kendrick Washington (10.1) all having moved on.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)