Aug 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
While the early signing period for the Class of 2015 is still three months away, many programs are also looking to add recruits in the 2016 class. Michigan landed its first verbal commitment in the class Thursday, as 6-foot-11 forward/center Jon Teske announced his decision to become a Wolverine.
According to MLive.com Teske averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore at Medina High School in Medina, Ohio. Teske’s a player Beilein and his staff were zeroed in on for quite some time, and their commitment to him ultimately led to Teske making the decision to commit.
Teske discussed the circumstances that led to his commitment with Dylan Burkhardt of UMHoops.com.
John Beilein knew what big man he wanted to sign in the class of 2016 and his early focus paid off. Michigan tracked Jon Teske religiously throughout the July evaluation period, sending at least one coach to every game the 7-footer played. The gamble paid off as Teske returned the favor with an early commitment.
“Michigan was at every AAU game I played (this summer),” Teske said during a phone interview on Thursday. “So that’s what really stood out to me. With that commitment to me, I just really wanted to commit to them.”
Outside of senior Max Bielfeldt the Wolverines are quite young in the front court, which makes it likely that many of the players on the roster now will be around when Teske joins the program two years from now. That includes freshmen Mark Donnal (redshirted last season), Ricky Doyle and D.J. Wilson.
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)