Aug 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
While the early signing period for the Class of 2015 is still three months away, many programs are also looking to add recruits in the 2016 class. Michigan landed its first verbal commitment in the class Thursday, as 6-foot-11 forward/center Jon Teske announced his decision to become a Wolverine.
According to MLive.com Teske averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore at Medina High School in Medina, Ohio. Teske’s a player Beilein and his staff were zeroed in on for quite some time, and their commitment to him ultimately led to Teske making the decision to commit.
Teske discussed the circumstances that led to his commitment with Dylan Burkhardt of UMHoops.com.
John Beilein knew what big man he wanted to sign in the class of 2016 and his early focus paid off. Michigan tracked Jon Teske religiously throughout the July evaluation period, sending at least one coach to every game the 7-footer played. The gamble paid off as Teske returned the favor with an early commitment.
“Michigan was at every AAU game I played (this summer),” Teske said during a phone interview on Thursday. “So that’s what really stood out to me. With that commitment to me, I just really wanted to commit to them.”
Outside of senior Max Bielfeldt the Wolverines are quite young in the front court, which makes it likely that many of the players on the roster now will be around when Teske joins the program two years from now. That includes freshmen Mark Donnal (redshirted last season), Ricky Doyle and D.J. Wilson.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 6
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 13
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)