Aug 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
While the early signing period for the Class of 2015 is still three months away, many programs are also looking to add recruits in the 2016 class. Michigan landed its first verbal commitment in the class Thursday, as 6-foot-11 forward/center Jon Teske announced his decision to become a Wolverine.
According to MLive.com Teske averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore at Medina High School in Medina, Ohio. Teske’s a player Beilein and his staff were zeroed in on for quite some time, and their commitment to him ultimately led to Teske making the decision to commit.
Teske discussed the circumstances that led to his commitment with Dylan Burkhardt of UMHoops.com.
John Beilein knew what big man he wanted to sign in the class of 2016 and his early focus paid off. Michigan tracked Jon Teske religiously throughout the July evaluation period, sending at least one coach to every game the 7-footer played. The gamble paid off as Teske returned the favor with an early commitment.
“Michigan was at every AAU game I played (this summer),” Teske said during a phone interview on Thursday. “So that’s what really stood out to me. With that commitment to me, I just really wanted to commit to them.”
Outside of senior Max Bielfeldt the Wolverines are quite young in the front court, which makes it likely that many of the players on the roster now will be around when Teske joins the program two years from now. That includes freshmen Mark Donnal (redshirted last season), Ricky Doyle and D.J. Wilson.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 2
- Arizona lands four-star center to potential No. 1 recruiting class in 2015 0
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility 3
- In-state power forward verbally commits to UConn 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight 6
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)
- Arizona State commit arrested for allegedly shoplifting less than $20 in DVDs from Walmart (3)
- Allen Iverson, Georgetown legends return to campus for new John Thompson practice facility (3)
- Villanova lands commitment from five-star point guard Jalen Brunson (2)