Aug 8, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
While the early signing period for the Class of 2015 is still three months away, many programs are also looking to add recruits in the 2016 class. Michigan landed its first verbal commitment in the class Thursday, as 6-foot-11 forward/center Jon Teske announced his decision to become a Wolverine.
According to MLive.com Teske averaged 12 points and nine rebounds per game as a sophomore at Medina High School in Medina, Ohio. Teske’s a player Beilein and his staff were zeroed in on for quite some time, and their commitment to him ultimately led to Teske making the decision to commit.
Teske discussed the circumstances that led to his commitment with Dylan Burkhardt of UMHoops.com.
John Beilein knew what big man he wanted to sign in the class of 2016 and his early focus paid off. Michigan tracked Jon Teske religiously throughout the July evaluation period, sending at least one coach to every game the 7-footer played. The gamble paid off as Teske returned the favor with an early commitment.
“Michigan was at every AAU game I played (this summer),” Teske said during a phone interview on Thursday. “So that’s what really stood out to me. With that commitment to me, I just really wanted to commit to them.”
Outside of senior Max Bielfeldt the Wolverines are quite young in the front court, which makes it likely that many of the players on the roster now will be around when Teske joins the program two years from now. That includes freshmen Mark Donnal (redshirted last season), Ricky Doyle and D.J. Wilson.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)