Aug 9, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Team USA got all 12 players in the scoring column on Saturday as they rolled past Angola 99-56 in pool play at the FIBA U17 World Championships in Dubai.
The two-time defending champion Americans held off Greece on Friday and jumped out to a 27-5 lead in crushing Angola from the opening tip.
Class of 2016 forward Harry Giles led the charge for the Americans, scoring a team-high 14 points and also tallying six steals as he led the charge as the head of the full court pressure for the United States. Angola simply couldn’t handle the pressure the United States threw at them, as they were held to 29 percent shooting 21-for-71 and had 28 turnovers.
Class of 2016 wing Terrence Ferguson tallied 13 points off-the-bench and knocked in a few three-pointers while fellow 2016 wing Jayson Tatum added 10 and 2015 big man Caleb Swanigan had 10 points of his own.
After a monster outing yesterday, 2015 big man Diamond Stone was once again a force on the glass, as he went for eight points, 12 rebounds and three blocks.
Center Silvio de Sousa led Angola with 17 points. Forward Joao Jungo also added 13 points while forward Bruno Fernando and forward Valdir Manuel had 12 points each.
Team USA plays its next game on Monday at 10:45 a.m. EST against the Philippines and is off to a very good 2-0 start in the World Championships. You can view the full American schedule and roster here.
Here is the USA box score from the Angola game.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)