Aug 10, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
With Aaron White and Gabriel Olaseni both being seniors in 2014-15, the Iowa Hawkeyes will have two holes to fill in its front court rotation upon the completion of the upcoming season. Freshman Dominique Uhl will help them moving forward, as will returning starter Adam Woodbury and likely starter Jarrod Uthoff (both will be juniors in 2014-15), but adding another body to the mix certainly wouldn’t hurt.
Sunday afternoon the Iowa program was able to do that, as 6-foot-6 forward Ahmad Wagner made his decision to verbally commit to Fran McCaffery’s program. Wagner, a native of Huber Heights, Ohio, attends Wayne High School and played his summer basketball for an All Ohio Red program that has sent a number of players in the past to high-major programs.
News of Wagner’s commitment was first reported by John Stovall of ESPN.com via Twitter, with Wagner himself putting together a post on Instagram shortly thereafter.
As a junior Wagner posted averages of 13.7 points, 9.9 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per contest, and offensively he did the majority of his damage from 15 feet and in. Wagner shot 62.5% from the field last season, and he also tallied ten double-doubles.
Wagner joins shooting guard Andrew Fleming and forward Brandon Hutton in Iowa’s 2015 class thus far. Uhl and guards Trey Dickerson (sophomore) and Brady Ellingson are the three players joining the Hawkeye program this season.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)