Aug 10, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Providence held its elite camp this weekend before the team travels to Italy. On Saturday night, one of the younger players in attendance, 2017 guard Javon Taylor, gave his verbal commitment to Ed Cooley and the Friars.
— Javon Taylor (@JavonT_12) August 10, 2014
Taylor, who will be a rising sophomore at the Beaver Country Day School (Massachusetts) had been offered by the Providence during the July live period.
His older brothers, Maurice and Jacquil, are both Division I players. Maurice, the oldest of the three, finished up his first year of college ball at North Carolina A&T. Jacquil, a shot-blocking forward, is a three-star commit in Purdue’s freshman class.
Maurice and Jacquil stand at 6-foot-6 and 6-foot-9, respectively. That will make Javon — currently listed at 6-foot-3 — an interesting player to watch over the remainder of his prep career, as he continues to develop his perimeter skills.
While it is unusual to see a commitment this early in someone’s recruitment, just last week the N.C. State women’s basketball team accepted a commitment from a seventh grader.
- Chase for 180: So far, so good for Virginia’s Justin Anderson 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Kansas Jayhawks 0
- Wichita State’s offensive struggles highlighted by come-from-behind win vs. Alabama 1
- Michigan State’s efficient three-point shooting is key for 2014-15 success 0
- No. 11 Wichita State rallies from 11 down to beat Alabama thanks to Van Vleet (VIDEO) 0
- The Ten Most Important Midseason Additions 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: New faces are popping up in our top ten 0
- Dana Altman says Oregon’s hands up, don’t shoot protest not ‘appropriate time’ (20)
- Georgetown discusses becoming first college basketball team to wear ‘I Can’t Breathe’ T-shirts (PHOTO) (9)
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (5)
- Self says No. 10 Kansas is ‘not good right now’, and that should scare you (4)