Aug 10, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
Saturday evening the fourth annual Big Strick Classic was played at Gauchos Gym in the Bronx, bringing together some of the best high school players in the country. And from an entertainment standpoint the game, played in memory of the late John Strickland, did not disappoint as Team NYC held off Team USA by the final score of 137-135.
Among the players who earned most valuable player honors were 2016 guard Rawle Alkins and 2015 guard Antonio Blakeney, who combined to lead the way for Team NYC. Blakeney, considered to be one of the top scoring guards in his class, led all scorers with 33 points. The Team USA co-MVP’s were 2015 guards Dwayne Bacon and Malik Beasley, with the latter also taking an unofficial visit to St. John’s during his time in the Big Apple.
Above are some highlights from the game, as compiled by Courtside Films.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)