Aug 11, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, a 6-foot-8 forward from Florida. Owens announced the commitment on twitter on Monday afternoon after leaving Providence elite camp this weekend.
Owens, who is the No. 108 recruit in the Class of 2015, is the second commitment that the Friars have landed in that class. He joins Ryan Fazekas. At 245 pounds, Owens is a load to handle on the block. He’s terrific when he’s able to establish position and that strength allows him to be an elite rebounder. His biggest issue, however, is motor. He’s really good when he decides that he wants to be, but he can also disappear for long stretches during games.
Owens plays his high school ball for Oak Ridge (Fla.) in Orlando and ran with Each 1 Teach 1 for Nike’s EYBL Circuit this summer. He was previously committed to Central Florida.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)