Aug 11, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Providence head coach Ed Cooley has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, a 6-foot-8 forward from Florida. Owens announced the commitment on twitter on Monday afternoon after leaving Providence elite camp this weekend.
Owens, who is the No. 108 recruit in the Class of 2015, is the second commitment that the Friars have landed in that class. He joins Ryan Fazekas. At 245 pounds, Owens is a load to handle on the block. He’s terrific when he’s able to establish position and that strength allows him to be an elite rebounder. His biggest issue, however, is motor. He’s really good when he decides that he wants to be, but he can also disappear for long stretches during games.
Owens plays his high school ball for Oak Ridge (Fla.) in Orlando and ran with Each 1 Teach 1 for Nike’s EYBL Circuit this summer. He was previously committed to Central Florida.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 8
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 14
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)