Aug 11, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Providence head coach Ed Cooley has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, a 6-foot-8 forward from Florida. Owens announced the commitment on twitter on Monday afternoon after leaving Providence elite camp this weekend.
Owens, who is the No. 108 recruit in the Class of 2015, is the second commitment that the Friars have landed in that class. He joins Ryan Fazekas. At 245 pounds, Owens is a load to handle on the block. He’s terrific when he’s able to establish position and that strength allows him to be an elite rebounder. His biggest issue, however, is motor. He’s really good when he decides that he wants to be, but he can also disappear for long stretches during games.
Owens plays his high school ball for Oak Ridge (Fla.) in Orlando and ran with Each 1 Teach 1 for Nike’s EYBL Circuit this summer. He was previously committed to Central Florida.
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)