Aug 11, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Providence head coach Ed Cooley has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, a 6-foot-8 forward from Florida. Owens announced the commitment on twitter on Monday afternoon after leaving Providence elite camp this weekend.
Owens, who is the No. 108 recruit in the Class of 2015, is the second commitment that the Friars have landed in that class. He joins Ryan Fazekas. At 245 pounds, Owens is a load to handle on the block. He’s terrific when he’s able to establish position and that strength allows him to be an elite rebounder. His biggest issue, however, is motor. He’s really good when he decides that he wants to be, but he can also disappear for long stretches during games.
Owens plays his high school ball for Oak Ridge (Fla.) in Orlando and ran with Each 1 Teach 1 for Nike’s EYBL Circuit this summer. He was previously committed to Central Florida.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Skal Labissiere, Reach Your Dreams Prep and why this isn’t as scuzzy as it sounds 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 9 Gonzaga Bulldogs 2
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)