Aug 11, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Providence head coach Ed Cooley has landed a commitment from Alex Owens, a 6-foot-8 forward from Florida. Owens announced the commitment on twitter on Monday afternoon after leaving Providence elite camp this weekend.
Owens, who is the No. 108 recruit in the Class of 2015, is the second commitment that the Friars have landed in that class. He joins Ryan Fazekas. At 245 pounds, Owens is a load to handle on the block. He’s terrific when he’s able to establish position and that strength allows him to be an elite rebounder. His biggest issue, however, is motor. He’s really good when he decides that he wants to be, but he can also disappear for long stretches during games.
Owens plays his high school ball for Oak Ridge (Fla.) in Orlando and ran with Each 1 Teach 1 for Nike’s EYBL Circuit this summer. He was previously committed to Central Florida.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)