Aug 12, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
UNLV sent out a release on Tuesday morning announcing that Cody Doolin has been given a fifth-year of eligibility by the NCAA.
“We are very happy for Cody,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “He has a tremendous amount of experience as a point guard and he has become a leader in our program.”
Doolin played three full seasons for San Francisco in the WCC but left after just four games during his senior campaign. He averaged 13.0 points and 7.0 assists in those four games while posting 12.2 points and 5.6 assists as a junior in 2012-2013.
Doolin, a 6-foot-2 point guard, would be the perfect piece for a UNLV team that needs a point guard on the floor, but he is not yet cleared to play this season. He still needs to receive another waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play this season and waive the required one year residency.
The Runnin’ Rebels have talent on their roster. They have three elite recruits joining the program — scoring guard Rashad Vaughn, small forward Dwayne Morgan and big man Goodluck Okonoboh — with a handful of quality pieces returning — Christian Wood, Jelan Kendrick, Kendall Smith, DaQuan Cook. Doolin, if eligible would be the distributor they lacked last season.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)