Aug 12, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
UNLV sent out a release on Tuesday morning announcing that Cody Doolin has been given a fifth-year of eligibility by the NCAA.
“We are very happy for Cody,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “He has a tremendous amount of experience as a point guard and he has become a leader in our program.”
Doolin played three full seasons for San Francisco in the WCC but left after just four games during his senior campaign. He averaged 13.0 points and 7.0 assists in those four games while posting 12.2 points and 5.6 assists as a junior in 2012-2013.
Doolin, a 6-foot-2 point guard, would be the perfect piece for a UNLV team that needs a point guard on the floor, but he is not yet cleared to play this season. He still needs to receive another waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play this season and waive the required one year residency.
The Runnin’ Rebels have talent on their roster. They have three elite recruits joining the program — scoring guard Rashad Vaughn, small forward Dwayne Morgan and big man Goodluck Okonoboh — with a handful of quality pieces returning — Christian Wood, Jelan Kendrick, Kendall Smith, DaQuan Cook. Doolin, if eligible would be the distributor they lacked last season.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)