Aug 12, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
UNLV sent out a release on Tuesday morning announcing that Cody Doolin has been given a fifth-year of eligibility by the NCAA.
“We are very happy for Cody,” UNLV head coach Dave Rice said in the release. “He has a tremendous amount of experience as a point guard and he has become a leader in our program.”
Doolin played three full seasons for San Francisco in the WCC but left after just four games during his senior campaign. He averaged 13.0 points and 7.0 assists in those four games while posting 12.2 points and 5.6 assists as a junior in 2012-2013.
Doolin, a 6-foot-2 point guard, would be the perfect piece for a UNLV team that needs a point guard on the floor, but he is not yet cleared to play this season. He still needs to receive another waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play this season and waive the required one year residency.
The Runnin’ Rebels have talent on their roster. They have three elite recruits joining the program — scoring guard Rashad Vaughn, small forward Dwayne Morgan and big man Goodluck Okonoboh — with a handful of quality pieces returning — Christian Wood, Jelan Kendrick, Kendall Smith, DaQuan Cook. Doolin, if eligible would be the distributor they lacked last season.
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 1
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (14)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)