Aug 12, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Skal Labissiere may be the best NBA prospect in the Class of 2015 not named Ben Simmons. He’s a long and athletic 6-foot-11 rim protector that can hit threes and make plays on the perimeter. His back problems limited him during the high school season, which is part of the reason that he is only ranked No. 15 in the class by Rivals, but make no mistake: Skal is legit.
That’s why North Carolina, Memphis and Kentucky are three of the four schools that he is still considering. The fourth? Ole Miss.
And how did Andy Kennedy manage to get onto a list that included those other three schools? Well, because he’s kept his third assistant coaching position open on the off-chance that he would be able to hire Labissiere’s guardian, Gerald Hamilton, in order to get Labissiere.
Kennedy acknowledged as much without really acknowledging it today.
“You guys are pretty smart,” Kennedy told Hugh Kellenberger of the Jackson Clarion-Ledger. “You probably realize what I’m doing, if it evolves like I want it to.”
And Ole Miss has a real chance here, as Gary Parrish laid out in this column. To summarize, Hamilton wants to keep Labissiere close to home because he doesn’t want to lose control of him. Labissiere goes to high school in Memphis, but he actually lives in Olive Branch, Mississippi, which is just an hour from Oxford. Beyond that, going to Ole Miss would give Labissiere immediate minutes in the SEC. At Memphis, he’ll be playing in the American and battling then-senior Shaq Goodwin and then-junior Austin Nichols for playing time. Labissiere is also a native Haitian, meaning those typical ties that Memphis kids have to their home school aren’t there.
And, as Kennedy said, “if it evolves like I want it to”, the Rebels will be getting one of the best big men in the country.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)