Aug 13, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Now that the makeover of McKale Center is nearing its completion, the Arizona basketball program announced on Wednesday that it will be wearing new uniforms in 2014-15. Yet while the uniforms themselves are new, the look is one fans of the program likely remember from the 1990’s.
The shorts will once again feature the vertical “CATS” logo on one side, with the “A” logo on the other. Arizona wore jerseys of a similar design for nearly a decade according to the release (the original shorts had the “A” resting over a basketball), a period that also featured the program’s lone national title in 1997. There are five different uniforms: two home white uniforms (one features blue trim, with the other having red trim), road navy, alternate red and a gray uniform that can be worn either at home or on the road.
“Our entire team is excited about receiving these new uniforms,” point guard T.J. McConnell said in the release. “Not only are they going to look great, but the technology that went into making them will benefit us on the court. So many great players in Arizona history wore similar uniforms, and it’s nice to be able to honor them while we try to do some of the same great things on the court.”
Bringing back a bit of the past is pretty cool, and for a team with designs on winning a national title this upcoming season the new uniforms could serve as a reminder of what’s been achieved by those who came before them. What would make this change even better? If a player decided to bring back the “CATS” socks that were also quite popular during the 1990s.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)