Aug 13, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Now that the makeover of McKale Center is nearing its completion, the Arizona basketball program announced on Wednesday that it will be wearing new uniforms in 2014-15. Yet while the uniforms themselves are new, the look is one fans of the program likely remember from the 1990’s.
The shorts will once again feature the vertical “CATS” logo on one side, with the “A” logo on the other. Arizona wore jerseys of a similar design for nearly a decade according to the release (the original shorts had the “A” resting over a basketball), a period that also featured the program’s lone national title in 1997. There are five different uniforms: two home white uniforms (one features blue trim, with the other having red trim), road navy, alternate red and a gray uniform that can be worn either at home or on the road.
“Our entire team is excited about receiving these new uniforms,” point guard T.J. McConnell said in the release. “Not only are they going to look great, but the technology that went into making them will benefit us on the court. So many great players in Arizona history wore similar uniforms, and it’s nice to be able to honor them while we try to do some of the same great things on the court.”
Bringing back a bit of the past is pretty cool, and for a team with designs on winning a national title this upcoming season the new uniforms could serve as a reminder of what’s been achieved by those who came before them. What would make this change even better? If a player decided to bring back the “CATS” socks that were also quite popular during the 1990s.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)