Aug 13, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Damion Lee was the best player on a Drexel team that was destined to make noise in March when he tore his ACL against Arizona last November.
It was a devastating blow for the Dragons at the time, as Lee was the most talented player on a roster that included a senior back court of Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat as well as a big and physical front line. There was reason to be very optimistic before the CAA Player of the Year contender went down.
Lee had surgery on the knee on Dec. 12th. It’s now mid-August and he still has yet to return to action, and while he’ll be traveling with the Dragons on their team trip to China this month, he won’t be playing in any of the games. Hell, he wasn’t even been allowed to play 5-on-5 with his teammates yet.
“We are not letting him do any scrimmaging,” Drexel coach Bruiser Flint told City of Basketball Love.
Getting Lee healthy is going to be the key for Drexel if they are to make a run at the CAA title. Junior wing Tavon Allen returns, as does all-CAA freshman Rodney Williams, but a healthy Lee is the difference maker. He averaged 17.1 points as a sophomore. That’s a bigger boost than any addition to the roster would be able to provide.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)