Aug 13, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
Damion Lee was the best player on a Drexel team that was destined to make noise in March when he tore his ACL against Arizona last November.
It was a devastating blow for the Dragons at the time, as Lee was the most talented player on a roster that included a senior back court of Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat as well as a big and physical front line. There was reason to be very optimistic before the CAA Player of the Year contender went down.
Lee had surgery on the knee on Dec. 12th. It’s now mid-August and he still has yet to return to action, and while he’ll be traveling with the Dragons on their team trip to China this month, he won’t be playing in any of the games. Hell, he wasn’t even been allowed to play 5-on-5 with his teammates yet.
“We are not letting him do any scrimmaging,” Drexel coach Bruiser Flint told City of Basketball Love.
Getting Lee healthy is going to be the key for Drexel if they are to make a run at the CAA title. Junior wing Tavon Allen returns, as does all-CAA freshman Rodney Williams, but a healthy Lee is the difference maker. He averaged 17.1 points as a sophomore. That’s a bigger boost than any addition to the roster would be able to provide.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)