Aug 13, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Kentucky announced on Wednesday that they have cancelled their charity alumni game.
“With what we’ve been able to do with bringing our guys back for our fans and raising money for charity, the UK Alumni Charity Game has turned into one of my favorite events at UK,” head coach John Calipari said. “Unfortunately, due to a number of circumstances out of our control, we are going to have to cancel this year’s game.”
There were a couple of reason for this decision, not the least of which was the fact that DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis would be unable to attend while participating with Team USA while John Wall would be attending a previously scheduled event in China.
“We consider the alumni game to be a first-class experience, but without the presence of several of our key alums who had previous commitments, including to USA Basketball, we didn’t feel we could meet the standard that we have set for fans,” Cal said. “We still had enough commitments to field our team, but it was becoming increasingly difficult to secure enough members for the non-UK team.
“While I’m disappointed for our fans and for the great organizations we were able to help with the game, I’m happy we will still be able to make an impact on our community with the proceeds from my fantasy experience.”
The statement also mentioned Paul George, who will miss next season after snapping his lower leg in half during the Team USA trials.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)