Aug 13, 2014, 7:58 PM EST
Much of the focus on Kentucky’s six-game trip to the Bahamas has been on what they’ve been able to do on the court, as John Calipari’s team has rolled to three wins to this point in the journey. After beating Puerto Rico for the second time in three days on Tuesday the Wildcats have a couple days off ahead of their next game on Friday, and they put their time to good use Wednesday.
Wednesday head coach John Calipari and his players took time to help Samaritan’s Feet, a program that works to provide shoes for children lacking an item of clothing many of us take for granted. They interacted with the children, bathing their feet before giving them a fresh pair of socks and a new pair of shoes. In one case they ran out of socks, resulting in this heartwarming move by freshman center Karl-Anthony Towns.
Nearing the end of their work with Samaritan’s Feet, Karl-Anthony Towns realized they had run out of new socks to give a little boy. Rather than send him off without a pair, Towns had a better idea. He flipped off his sandals, took off the new socks he had put on his feet an hour ago, and rolled them up the boy’s ankle.
The little boy, size 20 socks rolled up nearly to his knees, smiled back at Towns.
Multiple college basketball programs have been involved with Samaritan’s Feet over the years, including both IUPUI and Georgia State with current Georgia State head coach Ron Hunter being a staunch supporter of the program. And every year some coaches even coach a game barefoot as a way of bringing attention to the program.
The full photo gallery of Kentucky’s time with Samaritan’s Feet can be viewed here.
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 9
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 17
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (17)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)