Aug 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
These days, everyone knows who Stephen Curry is.
He’s become one of the most entertaining players in the NBA, a lights-out shooter for the Golden State Warriors with a wicked crossover and a huge Under Armour shoe deal playing in an organization that allows him to flaunt his talents.
But before he became a megastar, he was just Steph, the dude that starred at Davidson because his father’s school, Virginia Tech, would only offer him a walk-on spot. Curry was a mid-major darling, the best-kept secret that us hoop-heads knew about, until he went bananas in the 2008 NCAA tournament. It was this 40-point explosion — 30 of which came in the second half — against Gonzaga that really put him in the nation’s eye.
The best part of this?
For starters, his footwork is exemplary, the biggest reason he has such a quick release. How quick is it? At the 1:50 mark, Curry comes off of a screen and Austin Daye, a lottery pick in his own right, jumps to try and challenge a shot before Curry catches the ball.
Watch it again.
Daye goes flying by Curry before he’s even caught the pass, let alone made a pump-fake. That, my friends, is a shooter.
Davidson ended up making it to the Elite 8 that year, coming within two points of beating Kansas and getting to the Final Four. Curry went for 30 in a win over Georgetown in Davidson’s second game and followed that up with 33 points in a blowout of Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Here are the highlights from the win over the Badgers:
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)