Aug 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EST
These days, everyone knows who Stephen Curry is.
He’s become one of the most entertaining players in the NBA, a lights-out shooter for the Golden State Warriors with a wicked crossover and a huge Under Armour shoe deal playing in an organization that allows him to flaunt his talents.
But before he became a megastar, he was just Steph, the dude that starred at Davidson because his father’s school, Virginia Tech, would only offer him a walk-on spot. Curry was a mid-major darling, the best-kept secret that us hoop-heads knew about, until he went bananas in the 2008 NCAA tournament. It was this 40-point explosion — 30 of which came in the second half — against Gonzaga that really put him in the nation’s eye.
The best part of this?
For starters, his footwork is exemplary, the biggest reason he has such a quick release. How quick is it? At the 1:50 mark, Curry comes off of a screen and Austin Daye, a lottery pick in his own right, jumps to try and challenge a shot before Curry catches the ball.
Watch it again.
Daye goes flying by Curry before he’s even caught the pass, let alone made a pump-fake. That, my friends, is a shooter.
Davidson ended up making it to the Elite 8 that year, coming within two points of beating Kansas and getting to the Final Four. Curry went for 30 in a win over Georgetown in Davidson’s second game and followed that up with 33 points in a blowout of Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Here are the highlights from the win over the Badgers:
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)