Aug 13, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
These days, everyone knows who Stephen Curry is.
He’s become one of the most entertaining players in the NBA, a lights-out shooter for the Golden State Warriors with a wicked crossover and a huge Under Armour shoe deal playing in an organization that allows him to flaunt his talents.
But before he became a megastar, he was just Steph, the dude that starred at Davidson because his father’s school, Virginia Tech, would only offer him a walk-on spot. Curry was a mid-major darling, the best-kept secret that us hoop-heads knew about, until he went bananas in the 2008 NCAA tournament. It was this 40-point explosion — 30 of which came in the second half — against Gonzaga that really put him in the nation’s eye.
The best part of this?
For starters, his footwork is exemplary, the biggest reason he has such a quick release. How quick is it? At the 1:50 mark, Curry comes off of a screen and Austin Daye, a lottery pick in his own right, jumps to try and challenge a shot before Curry catches the ball.
Watch it again.
Daye goes flying by Curry before he’s even caught the pass, let alone made a pump-fake. That, my friends, is a shooter.
Davidson ended up making it to the Elite 8 that year, coming within two points of beating Kansas and getting to the Final Four. Curry went for 30 in a win over Georgetown in Davidson’s second game and followed that up with 33 points in a blowout of Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Here are the highlights from the win over the Badgers:
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 3
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 1
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft 8
- Bobby Portis announces that he is turning pro 0
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)