Aug 14, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson will transfer out of Memphis, the school announced on Thursday.
“Dominic is in good academic standing at the University, but he shared with me that he’d like a fresh start,” said Pastner. “We support Dominic and wish him all the best.”
Woodson is a 6-foot-10 rising sophomore and former top 100 recruit that had originally signed with Baylor in high school. He’s been with the Memphis program for a little more than a year, and has been more than enough of a headache for Josh Pastner to make the decision that he needed to move on from the program.
As a freshman, he was kicked off the bench against Central Florida and suspended for three games for the language that he used. He did not travel with the team to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament, either. Earlier this summer, Woodson got into a fight with a football player at the school over a girl.
But here’s the catch: this may not be the end of Woodson’s time at Memphis. According to John Martin of 92.9 FM in Memphis, Woodson may end up transferring to a Junior College in Memphis for a year to gain some playing experience before returning to the Tigers in 2015-2016. I’m sure that sending a message to Woodson that playing basketball in college is a privilege, not a right, would likely be involved in that decision as well.
There’s a reason why they would go to that trouble: on Wednesday, Pastner told reporters that Woodson was more talented than Austin Nichols and Shaq Goodwin, the two front court players that will likely start for the Tigers this season.
Who knows what will happen down the road, but for now, it appears that the Tigers are losing a major piece on their front court for the foreseeable future.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)