Aug 14, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Dominic Woodson will transfer out of Memphis, the school announced on Thursday.
“Dominic is in good academic standing at the University, but he shared with me that he’d like a fresh start,” said Pastner. “We support Dominic and wish him all the best.”
Woodson is a 6-foot-10 rising sophomore and former top 100 recruit that had originally signed with Baylor in high school. He’s been with the Memphis program for a little more than a year, and has been more than enough of a headache for Josh Pastner to make the decision that he needed to move on from the program.
As a freshman, he was kicked off the bench against Central Florida and suspended for three games for the language that he used. He did not travel with the team to Raleigh for the NCAA tournament, either. Earlier this summer, Woodson got into a fight with a football player at the school over a girl.
But here’s the catch: this may not be the end of Woodson’s time at Memphis. According to John Martin of 92.9 FM in Memphis, Woodson may end up transferring to a Junior College in Memphis for a year to gain some playing experience before returning to the Tigers in 2015-2016. I’m sure that sending a message to Woodson that playing basketball in college is a privilege, not a right, would likely be involved in that decision as well.
There’s a reason why they would go to that trouble: on Wednesday, Pastner told reporters that Woodson was more talented than Austin Nichols and Shaq Goodwin, the two front court players that will likely start for the Tigers this season.
Who knows what will happen down the road, but for now, it appears that the Tigers are losing a major piece on their front court for the foreseeable future.
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (4)