Aug 15, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
New Delaware State head coach Keith Walker, whose interim tag removed in mid-April, has filled out his coaching staff with three hires being made official by the school on Thursday. Joining Walker at the MEAC school are assistants Keith Johnson, Kevin Washington and Alex Stone, with Johnson serving as the program’s assistant head coach.
“I’ve known Keith Johnson for more than 25 years, and have a great deal of admiration for his knowledge of the game,” Walker said in the release. “He has been mentored by two of the greatest coaches of our time in Hall-of-Famer John Chaney of Temple and “Fang” Mitchell at Coppin State. Keith’s knowledge of the MEAC, along with his recruiting ties in the Delaware Valley and Mid-Atlantic regions, will greatly benefit our program.”
Johnson spent the last 13 years at Coppin State, and the hiring of Washington is another move that catches the eye. Prior to moving up to the Division I ranks Washington was the head coach at Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, North Carolina, and two of the players he coached during his time there are John Wall and T.J. Warren.
While getting players of that caliber to the MEAC school would be a stretch, maybe connections forged there can help the Hornets on the recruiting trail as they look to return to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2005.
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 6
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 3
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (6)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)