Aug 15, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Derrick Jones, a four-star small forward in the Class of 2015, set a list of his nine finalists on Thursday.
Arizona, Auburn, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, UConn and UNLV remain in the running for the Philadelphia product, Jones’ father told Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv on Thursday night.
The high-level athlete had impressive July live period, scoring 31 points in a game at the Reebok Breakout Challenge in Philadelphia during the first live period. The next week, the 6-foot-6 wing, led his WE-R1 team to the Under Armour Finals title in Atlanta. In 11 games in the Under Armour Association, he averaged a team-high 12.9 points to go along with 4.8 rebounds per game.
At the Reebok Breakout Challenge, he showed an improved offensive game, as Rob Dauster noted.
“Honestly, Derrick’s always had the talent to do it all. Derrick’s an unselfish basketball player,” Derrick Jones Sr. told Ari Rosenfeld of CityofBasketballLove.com. “Going into the summer he’s adapted and said ‘I have to take more, I have to do more.’ Just working on his jump shot more, working on his handle more. I’m watching the kid everyday come home and go out back and work, go to the park and work. He’s really dedicated and really wants to be at that level. I really know in my heart that he belongs.”
Jones Sr. told Rosenfeld he expects his son to make a decision after his senior season.
Jones, who plays his high school ball at Archbishop John Carroll High, is listed as the No. 33 overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 0
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1