Aug 15, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Derrick Jones, a four-star small forward in the Class of 2015, set a list of his nine finalists on Thursday.
Arizona, Auburn, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, UConn and UNLV remain in the running for the Philadelphia product, Jones’ father told Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv on Thursday night.
The high-level athlete had impressive July live period, scoring 31 points in a game at the Reebok Breakout Challenge in Philadelphia during the first live period. The next week, the 6-foot-6 wing, led his WE-R1 team to the Under Armour Finals title in Atlanta. In 11 games in the Under Armour Association, he averaged a team-high 12.9 points to go along with 4.8 rebounds per game.
At the Reebok Breakout Challenge, he showed an improved offensive game, as Rob Dauster noted.
“Honestly, Derrick’s always had the talent to do it all. Derrick’s an unselfish basketball player,” Derrick Jones Sr. told Ari Rosenfeld of CityofBasketballLove.com. “Going into the summer he’s adapted and said ‘I have to take more, I have to do more.’ Just working on his jump shot more, working on his handle more. I’m watching the kid everyday come home and go out back and work, go to the park and work. He’s really dedicated and really wants to be at that level. I really know in my heart that he belongs.”
Jones Sr. told Rosenfeld he expects his son to make a decision after his senior season.
Jones, who plays his high school ball at Archbishop John Carroll High, is listed as the No. 33 overall recruit in the Class of 2015, according to Rivals.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)