Aug 15, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
While the George Mason basketball program is currently in Spain on its summer trip, Paul Hewitt’s program received some good news Friday afternoon in the form of its first commitment in the Class of 2015.
6-foot-6 small forward Ahmad Gilbert, who attends Constitution High School in Philadelphia, announced his decision to commit to the Atlantic 10 school via his Twitter account. Gilbert played this his grassroots basketball with the Team Final program this spring/summer.
As a junior at Constitution, Gilbert proved to be one of the best players in the state of Pennsylvania. After averaging 15.7 points per game on a team that put together a 28-5 record, Gilbert was named Class AA state Player of the Year by the Pennsylvania Sports Writers Association. According to City of Basketball Love, Gilbert’s play during the summer earned him increased interest on the recruiting trail with South Florida offering him a scholarship.
At the small forward position George Mason currently has Vaughn Gray, who will be a senior in 2014-15, and incoming freshmen Eric Lockett and Therence Mayimba. Gray played in just 18 games last season, and after playing ten minutes or more in eight of the Patriots’ first nine games he reached double digits in minutes just once (ten minutes in a win over La Salle on March 6).
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 1
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 1
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)