Aug 15, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
While the George Mason basketball program is currently in Spain on its summer trip, Paul Hewitt’s program received some good news Friday afternoon in the form of its first commitment in the Class of 2015.
6-foot-6 small forward Ahmad Gilbert, who attends Constitution High School in Philadelphia, announced his decision to commit to the Atlantic 10 school via his Twitter account. Gilbert played this his grassroots basketball with the Team Final program this spring/summer.
As a junior at Constitution, Gilbert proved to be one of the best players in the state of Pennsylvania. After averaging 15.7 points per game on a team that put together a 28-5 record, Gilbert was named Class AA state Player of the Year by the Pennsylvania Sports Writers Association. According to City of Basketball Love, Gilbert’s play during the summer earned him increased interest on the recruiting trail with South Florida offering him a scholarship.
At the small forward position George Mason currently has Vaughn Gray, who will be a senior in 2014-15, and incoming freshmen Eric Lockett and Therence Mayimba. Gray played in just 18 games last season, and after playing ten minutes or more in eight of the Patriots’ first nine games he reached double digits in minutes just once (ten minutes in a win over La Salle on March 6).
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)