Aug 15, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
While the George Mason basketball program is currently in Spain on its summer trip, Paul Hewitt’s program received some good news Friday afternoon in the form of its first commitment in the Class of 2015.
6-foot-6 small forward Ahmad Gilbert, who attends Constitution High School in Philadelphia, announced his decision to commit to the Atlantic 10 school via his Twitter account. Gilbert played this his grassroots basketball with the Team Final program this spring/summer.
As a junior at Constitution, Gilbert proved to be one of the best players in the state of Pennsylvania. After averaging 15.7 points per game on a team that put together a 28-5 record, Gilbert was named Class AA state Player of the Year by the Pennsylvania Sports Writers Association. According to City of Basketball Love, Gilbert’s play during the summer earned him increased interest on the recruiting trail with South Florida offering him a scholarship.
At the small forward position George Mason currently has Vaughn Gray, who will be a senior in 2014-15, and incoming freshmen Eric Lockett and Therence Mayimba. Gray played in just 18 games last season, and after playing ten minutes or more in eight of the Patriots’ first nine games he reached double digits in minutes just once (ten minutes in a win over La Salle on March 6).
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)