Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
With their top three rebounders from last season having moved on the Texas Tech Red Raiders were in a position where they could use some additional size in the front court. With junior college transfer Justin Jamison and freshmen Norense Odiase and Zach Smith already having signed a National Letter of Intent, head coach Tubby Smith was still hoping to reel in another big.
Friday afternoon the goal was accomplished, with 6-foot-10 center Isaiah Manderson committing to Texas Tech. Manderson made his decision public via Twitter, with multiple media outlets reporting the news shortly thereafter.
Manderson attended Oldsmar Christian in Oldsmar, Florida last school year, and he was an early signee to attend Oregon State. However with Craig Robinson being relieved of his duties during the spring Manderson was released from his National Letter of Intent, and heading into Friday Temple and Texas Tech were considered to be the two finalists.
Both programs could have used Manderson, with Temple also in a position where they could use additional depth in the front court, but it’s Texas Tech that received the good news Friday afternoon. Aaron Ross and Alex Foster, who played in 29 and 25 games respectively last season, are Texas Tech’s most experienced front court returnees heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
- Oklahoma State lands commitment from elite point guard in 2015 0
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Frank Haith lands first commitment as head coach at Tulsa (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)