Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 PM EST
With their top three rebounders from last season having moved on the Texas Tech Red Raiders were in a position where they could use some additional size in the front court. With junior college transfer Justin Jamison and freshmen Norense Odiase and Zach Smith already having signed a National Letter of Intent, head coach Tubby Smith was still hoping to reel in another big.
Friday afternoon the goal was accomplished, with 6-foot-10 center Isaiah Manderson committing to Texas Tech. Manderson made his decision public via Twitter, with multiple media outlets reporting the news shortly thereafter.
Manderson attended Oldsmar Christian in Oldsmar, Florida last school year, and he was an early signee to attend Oregon State. However with Craig Robinson being relieved of his duties during the spring Manderson was released from his National Letter of Intent, and heading into Friday Temple and Texas Tech were considered to be the two finalists.
Both programs could have used Manderson, with Temple also in a position where they could use additional depth in the front court, but it’s Texas Tech that received the good news Friday afternoon. Aaron Ross and Alex Foster, who played in 29 and 25 games respectively last season, are Texas Tech’s most experienced front court returnees heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)