Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
With their top three rebounders from last season having moved on the Texas Tech Red Raiders were in a position where they could use some additional size in the front court. With junior college transfer Justin Jamison and freshmen Norense Odiase and Zach Smith already having signed a National Letter of Intent, head coach Tubby Smith was still hoping to reel in another big.
Friday afternoon the goal was accomplished, with 6-foot-10 center Isaiah Manderson committing to Texas Tech. Manderson made his decision public via Twitter, with multiple media outlets reporting the news shortly thereafter.
Manderson attended Oldsmar Christian in Oldsmar, Florida last school year, and he was an early signee to attend Oregon State. However with Craig Robinson being relieved of his duties during the spring Manderson was released from his National Letter of Intent, and heading into Friday Temple and Texas Tech were considered to be the two finalists.
Both programs could have used Manderson, with Temple also in a position where they could use additional depth in the front court, but it’s Texas Tech that received the good news Friday afternoon. Aaron Ross and Alex Foster, who played in 29 and 25 games respectively last season, are Texas Tech’s most experienced front court returnees heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)