Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
With their top three rebounders from last season having moved on the Texas Tech Red Raiders were in a position where they could use some additional size in the front court. With junior college transfer Justin Jamison and freshmen Norense Odiase and Zach Smith already having signed a National Letter of Intent, head coach Tubby Smith was still hoping to reel in another big.
Friday afternoon the goal was accomplished, with 6-foot-10 center Isaiah Manderson committing to Texas Tech. Manderson made his decision public via Twitter, with multiple media outlets reporting the news shortly thereafter.
Manderson attended Oldsmar Christian in Oldsmar, Florida last school year, and he was an early signee to attend Oregon State. However with Craig Robinson being relieved of his duties during the spring Manderson was released from his National Letter of Intent, and heading into Friday Temple and Texas Tech were considered to be the two finalists.
Both programs could have used Manderson, with Temple also in a position where they could use additional depth in the front court, but it’s Texas Tech that received the good news Friday afternoon. Aaron Ross and Alex Foster, who played in 29 and 25 games respectively last season, are Texas Tech’s most experienced front court returnees heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 3
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 1
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)