Aug 15, 2014, 3:29 PM EDT
With their top three rebounders from last season having moved on the Texas Tech Red Raiders were in a position where they could use some additional size in the front court. With junior college transfer Justin Jamison and freshmen Norense Odiase and Zach Smith already having signed a National Letter of Intent, head coach Tubby Smith was still hoping to reel in another big.
Friday afternoon the goal was accomplished, with 6-foot-10 center Isaiah Manderson committing to Texas Tech. Manderson made his decision public via Twitter, with multiple media outlets reporting the news shortly thereafter.
Manderson attended Oldsmar Christian in Oldsmar, Florida last school year, and he was an early signee to attend Oregon State. However with Craig Robinson being relieved of his duties during the spring Manderson was released from his National Letter of Intent, and heading into Friday Temple and Texas Tech were considered to be the two finalists.
Both programs could have used Manderson, with Temple also in a position where they could use additional depth in the front court, but it’s Texas Tech that received the good news Friday afternoon. Aaron Ross and Alex Foster, who played in 29 and 25 games respectively last season, are Texas Tech’s most experienced front court returnees heading into the 2014-15 campaign.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)