Aug 15, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
When VCU opens the 2014-2015 season against Tennessee, it will do so without the services of Briante Weber.
The 6-foot-2 guard has been charged with petit larceny, stemming from an incident on July 24, according to Tim Pearrell of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. An incident report claims Weber stole an iPhone valued at $200. Had it been valued higher, Weber would have been charged with grand larceny, which is a felony. Petit larceny is a misdemeanor.
“Briante has failed to live up to the standards we’ve set for our program and we are holding him accountable,” VCU head coach Shaka Smart said in a statement. “Part of his discipline includes missed competition. We expect that Briante will act according to the standards of our program moving forward.”
Weber has a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25 in Manchester General District Court.
As a junior, he averaged 9.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. Weber served as a vital part in Smart’s Havoc defense, coming away with 3.5 steals a night.
VCU takes on Tennessee on Friday, Nov. 14 in the inaugural Veterans Classic in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)