Aug 15, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
When VCU opens the 2014-2015 season against Tennessee, it will do so without the services of Briante Weber.
The 6-foot-2 guard has been charged with petit larceny, stemming from an incident on July 24, according to Tim Pearrell of the Richmond Times-Dispatch. An incident report claims Weber stole an iPhone valued at $200. Had it been valued higher, Weber would have been charged with grand larceny, which is a felony. Petit larceny is a misdemeanor.
“Briante has failed to live up to the standards we’ve set for our program and we are holding him accountable,” VCU head coach Shaka Smart said in a statement. “Part of his discipline includes missed competition. We expect that Briante will act according to the standards of our program moving forward.”
Weber has a hearing scheduled for Sept. 25 in Manchester General District Court.
As a junior, he averaged 9.4 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. Weber served as a vital part in Smart’s Havoc defense, coming away with 3.5 steals a night.
VCU takes on Tennessee on Friday, Nov. 14 in the inaugural Veterans Classic in Annapolis, Maryland.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)