Aug 16, 2014, 4:27 PM EST
South Plains College guard Andre Spight was one of the most highly sought-after players at last month’s All American JUCO Showcase Elite 80 evening in Las Vegas, with programs such as Arizona State, Creighton and Penn State among those recruiting him. Spight stated during that weekend that he would look to sign during the early signing period (which falls in November), and on Saturday he decided where he’ll finish his college career.
Spight has committed to Arizona State, with Brad Winton of JucoRecruiting.com reporting the news. Also of note is the fact that Spight will take an official visit to Arizona State on September 5, per the report. As a freshman at South Plains, Spight posted averages of 16.0 points, 3.2 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game. He’ll have more opportunities at the point guard position this season, something that should help him in his progression to the Division I level in 2015.
“He has the playmaking [ability] and the handle; he has all the skills to play point guard,” South Plains assistant coach Hank Plona told NBCSports.com back in July. “He just needs to develop the mindset [needed to play the point]. He came in with a scoring mindset, so we had to get him to thinking about ‘making the right play.’”
Spight’s his ability to play both on and off the ball fits in well with the players who have recently joined Herb Sendek’s program. Of Arizona State’s seven newcomers this season four are junior college transfers, and a number of them can play multiple positions. The Sun Devils will lose two guards at the end of the 2014-15 season with Bo Barnes and Shaquielle McKissic both being seniors, and small forward Jonathan Gilling is entering his final season of eligibility as well.
Among the guards who will have eligibility remaining when Spight arrives in Tempe are junior college transfers Gerry Blakes, who will likely be the starting point guard this season, and Roosevelt Scott, sophomore Chance Murray and incoming freshmen Kodi Justice and Tra Holder.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)