Aug 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EST
While many of their classmates go home for the summer, for college athletes a steady “diet” of summer school and offseason workouts lie in front of them throughout July and August. It’s a time where players can not only make their greatest strides individually, but also collectively as leaders emerge and bonds become (hopefully) stronger. VCU released a video of its summer workouts, and to say that it looks grueling would be an understatement.
The Rams, who won 26 games and made their fourth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance under head coach Shaka Smart, are considered to be one of the early favorites in the Atlantic 10 in 2014-15. Guards Briante Weber, Melvin Johnson and Treveon Graham all return for VCU, which also adds a solid recruiting class led by forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman.
VCU will have to account for the loss of power forward Juvonte Reddic and guard Rob Brandenburg, but they’ve got enough talent back on campus to erase the sting of last year’s NCAA tournament loss to Stephen F. Austin.
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 0
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 1
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 2
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives (8)