Aug 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
While many of their classmates go home for the summer, for college athletes a steady “diet” of summer school and offseason workouts lie in front of them throughout July and August. It’s a time where players can not only make their greatest strides individually, but also collectively as leaders emerge and bonds become (hopefully) stronger. VCU released a video of its summer workouts, and to say that it looks grueling would be an understatement.
The Rams, who won 26 games and made their fourth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance under head coach Shaka Smart, are considered to be one of the early favorites in the Atlantic 10 in 2014-15. Guards Briante Weber, Melvin Johnson and Treveon Graham all return for VCU, which also adds a solid recruiting class led by forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman.
VCU will have to account for the loss of power forward Juvonte Reddic and guard Rob Brandenburg, but they’ve got enough talent back on campus to erase the sting of last year’s NCAA tournament loss to Stephen F. Austin.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 2
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)