Aug 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
While many of their classmates go home for the summer, for college athletes a steady “diet” of summer school and offseason workouts lie in front of them throughout July and August. It’s a time where players can not only make their greatest strides individually, but also collectively as leaders emerge and bonds become (hopefully) stronger. VCU released a video of its summer workouts, and to say that it looks grueling would be an understatement.
The Rams, who won 26 games and made their fourth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance under head coach Shaka Smart, are considered to be one of the early favorites in the Atlantic 10 in 2014-15. Guards Briante Weber, Melvin Johnson and Treveon Graham all return for VCU, which also adds a solid recruiting class led by forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman.
VCU will have to account for the loss of power forward Juvonte Reddic and guard Rob Brandenburg, but they’ve got enough talent back on campus to erase the sting of last year’s NCAA tournament loss to Stephen F. Austin.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)