Aug 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EST
While many of their classmates go home for the summer, for college athletes a steady “diet” of summer school and offseason workouts lie in front of them throughout July and August. It’s a time where players can not only make their greatest strides individually, but also collectively as leaders emerge and bonds become (hopefully) stronger. VCU released a video of its summer workouts, and to say that it looks grueling would be an understatement.
The Rams, who won 26 games and made their fourth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance under head coach Shaka Smart, are considered to be one of the early favorites in the Atlantic 10 in 2014-15. Guards Briante Weber, Melvin Johnson and Treveon Graham all return for VCU, which also adds a solid recruiting class led by forwards Terry Larrier and Justin Tillman.
VCU will have to account for the loss of power forward Juvonte Reddic and guard Rob Brandenburg, but they’ve got enough talent back on campus to erase the sting of last year’s NCAA tournament loss to Stephen F. Austin.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 1
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)